Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Half Rick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I have a question regarding the screen... I wanted to edit a picture in full size, i.e. 4032 x 3024 pixels, and I assumed that the width would fit within the screen. But to my surprise, it didn't. I then noticed that the scaled "more space" resolution is equivalent of 2560 x 1440, meaning it makes sense that "actual size" doesn't fit the screen.

How can I make use of the pixels in the screen so that one pixel in a picture corresponds to one pixel on the screen, i.e. "true" actual size viewing of a picture? Because now it feels like I'm looking at a zoomed in version of the picture (since every pixel in the picture is made up by several pixels on the screen) and that fitting it to the screen will show a "compressed" view where fewer pixels on the screen will be used than what the picture is composed of unless I somehow manage to size the window to the pixel...

Maybe my question is just really stupid? I just kind of assumed that hitting "actual size" would show 1:1 according to the pixels on the screen.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
What software are you using?
Afaik photoshop uses the scaling option you selected for the interface, but the image is pixel per pixel. This probably also goes for other software.

Half Rick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2017
What software are you using?
Afaik photoshop uses the scaling option you selected for the interface, but the image is pixel per pixel. This probably also goes for other software.
I use Lightroom CC from 2015, and I checked with iPhoto and Preview as well. iPhoto doesn't even have an "actual size" option apparently, but both LR and Preview give different "actual size" sizes depending on the chosen scaled resolution.

I figured it might be a setting in OS X itself, but if it's a matter of having to switch workflow completely by switching apps I'll keep using the zoom. I just thought it'd be nice to see the "true" actual size :)

Thanks for your reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.