Pixelated icons

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msindt19, Jul 12, 2011.

1. msindt19 macrumors member

msindt19

phoneimage2.PNG

twitter.PNG

Jailbroke my phone successfully this time...Now I'm working on my customizing my own theme using different icons and what not from what other people have posted.

I managed to set it up with the custom icons via Fugu and OpenSSH. My first problem was the icons were HUGE! But then I resized (59x60, read that number somewhere. ?) them via iPhoto and set em up.

Now my problem is the icons are pixelated and there are some random colors and odd pixelation around the icons.

(In the photos around the Twitter icon and the phone icon, excuse the crazy girl in the background)

Is my sizing wrong? Or is there a way to clean up the space around the icons so they are transparent? New to this, so any advice in layman's terms would be great!

Thanks

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You have 59x60 icons so I'm assuming you're using an iPhone 3G/3GS? From the looks of it, whenever you tried resizing the icons, there must have been some error either with the cropping or whenever you saved the icon in it's newer size. Need to make sure they're saved as PNG's whenever you save them and I'm also assuming you're trying to downsize iPhone 4 icons to fit on your phone right? Best bet would be to get an actual theme/icons made for your 3G/S and use those. Also might want to use pixlr.com as it's pretty easy to use for whenever you're resizing icons.

3. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

I've got an iPhone 4, so that could be my problem, maybe I'm resizing for a 3G/S?

When I first viewed the icons they were saved at 120x120, which is why they were HUGE! Here is what they looked like (different icons/theme) before I resized them.

New Image.PNG

The icons look very nice, just too large for my screen. How should I resize them, or save them in Fugu for the 4?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^^ Yeah, check that. iPhone 4 icons should be 118x120 or 120x120 depending on the icon(s). 59x60 res icons are for iPhone 3G/3GS only. Looks like you may have replaced the wrong icon which is why you're getting that big icon look. Are you using the bundles method to change icons or no?

6. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

Thanks for helping me out. This is the website I'm using:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/themes_with_winterboard.html

I tried using the Bundles method and putting in my own images but then nothing changed at all. So then I tried the "Summerboard" method and just made an icons folder with Summerboard set to on, which resulted in the Large icons.

When I get home from work I'll try and save the icons as icon@2.png in the Bundles folder for my customized theme folder.

Hope this works, and thanks again.

Do you know of any other links that give step-by-step directions that may be specific for the Verizon (4.2.8) iPhone? Or should that not matter?

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'd recommend you learn the bundles method honestly. It'll take a little longer up front to setup but, in the long run, it'll be to your advantage. I don't even screw around with Summerboard really.

Download AppInfo in Cydia and you can use that to find out what you need to name the bundles in your theme as well as the name of the icons.

While most icons will be icon@2x.png, some will be named Icon@2x.png (NOTE the capital I) also. For some apps, you'll get weird icon names like iPhoneAppIcon@2x.png (iFile) and the AIM icon (AIM_free_app_icon_57@2x.png) is pretty weird too. The name of the icon you use DOES make a difference so you'll need to be aware of that when naming your icons.

8. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

Awesome. I'll definitely delve more into the Bundles method when I get home.

Thanks h1r0ll3r.

9. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

might as well also see if anyone knows how to change the wallpaper that is in the background when a folder opens....in the pictures above, the "crazy" girl, change it to either blank or the same as the wooden wallpaper.

What file it is, or how to go about changing it.

thanks.

10. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

So I solved the problem of the pixelated icons, just as you said name the icons icon@2x.png or whatever they were originally.

Now is there anyway to change the wallpaper that is in the background when a folder opens up?

11. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

12. msindt19 thread starter macrumors member

msindt19

Just got FolderEnhancer and that solved my problem. Thanks TigerBabe.