Pixelated screen when wake up from sleep or booting up

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sjk319, Sep 17, 2008.

1. sjk319 macrumors newbie

I'm on Mac Pro os x 10.5.4 and having a problem with my computer waking up from sleep or as it is booting up.

As it wakes up from sleep, the screen becomes blank or shows weird, pixelated bars all over the screen. When I try to move the mouse or press something on keypad, the computer freezes after and I would have to force shutting it down by pressing the power. It doesn't always happen, but quite often these days.

Also, when it's booting up, it sometimes will freeze with a blank screen in the middle and won't show the desktop.

Everything worked fine until a few days ago, and i'm wondering what's suddenly causing this problem. PLEASE~~can anyone help with this??

thanks,

2. fsron macrumors member

Just the other day, mine would wake from sleep mode and then any movement of the mouse and it crashed. It rebooted once, but after the next sleep it was a blank screen only. It would act like it was booting with the startup chime and all, but no video. The install DVD produced the same results.

I suspected video card failure and took it down to the local Apple store. They suspect the video card also since it was getting the start-up chime. They didn't have a new 2600 card in stock so I left it. I Hope to get it back soon.

3. fsron macrumors member

Your problem sounded a lot like mine. I just got mine back, they replaced the video card. So far it seems to be working fine.

4. siorai macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue. Very infrequently when waking up from sleep, I would get small areas most or the time or once or twice even the whole screen would be randomly pixelated and corrupted. The mouse cursor could still move around, but the computer was effectively crashed. I tried everything I could think of: resetting the PRAM, reinstalling OSX, re-seating the video card and ram, all to no avail.

Then one of the extra harddrives I had installed started having problems. It would act very strangely in that I could see the files in Finder, but couldn't access them, attempts to copy files off the disc would result in a system crash, or the drive would disappear form Finder entirely. I hit a lucky night when it worked, copied everything off of it, and removed it from my system.

Ever since then, I have had no issues with corrupted video when waking up from sleep. I know it sounds fairly odd, but I guess something to do with the failing drive was also causing issues elsewhere.

5. garenpatrick macrumors newbie

Screen Capture Pixelated Screen at Start Up OSX10.5.4

This is the image I get on my iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo OSX10.5.4. I have repaired permisions and removed all login items. Once I move the cursor or open up a window the screen clears behind the cursor or window etc...Any suggestions? It freezes up at least once or twice a day...

Attached Files: