pixelation using handbrake + mpeg streamclip. What settings should I use?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AppleButterfly, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AppleButterfly macrumors newbie

Hi there. New to this forum. I have 4 wedding DVDs that I am trying to rip to my mac (OS X 10.6.8). I want to then edit these in imovie (as thats all i have) and then burn the movies back on to individual dvds.

I downloaded handbrake (64 bit) and VLC (32-64 bit) and have ripped the DVDs to m4v format. I am then using mpeg streamclip to convert this to .mov files to import into imovie where I am doing the editing. The problem I am encountering is that the m4v and mov files are very badly pixelated.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. What's settings should i be using in handbrake and mpeg streamclip when ripping DVD to export to iMovie to edit and burn back onto DVD? I need optimum resolution so the end DVD is of professional quality.

Please help, at my wits end with this.

Thanks

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

• Create a new user account
    • launch Handbrake
    • insert your DVD
    • select Constant Quality and a value of 14
    • click Start

Does this file open and play in Quicktime?

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

BTW, have you tried re-ripping to MPEG-2, exporting the MPEG-2 video to M2V files, as I've recommended in the other thread? http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15934484&postcount=31

4. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to rip etc, just meant how to get the best results. For example, with handbrake, do i use large file size/web optimised, what framerate (FBS), variable or constant frame rate, what should the bizrate be. With the picture settings, should it be the setting for anamorphic and modulus values? Also on the devices list on the right hand side, what should i be selecting (I want to watch the films on DVD on a 51 inch TV).

With Mpeg streamclip, what compression codec should I be using? Apple intermediate? what is multi pass/B-frames?
    Should I limit the data rate and if so to what value? should it be 100% quality?

What should the frame size be and the frame rate? should i check the boxes for frame blending/better downscaling?

I dont understand any of these options. What I have ripped into imovies for 2 out of the 4 DVDs so far are such bad quality. Theres pixelation in every frame/scene.

Hope someone can help me, I'll forever be grateful.

Thanks

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Have you tried importing the m4v files into iMovie? If they won't go then try changing the extension to mp4.

If that doesn't work, then open them with MPEGStreamclip and then Export to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) setting, as this is the format that iMovie is set for.

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

What I recommended above will hopefully yield good results. Just specify a Constant Quality value of 14 and let Handbrake pick things like frame rate and resolution.

I recommended the new user account because I still think you might have a preference file corruption.

What are you using MPEG Streamclip for?

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

To convert to AIC. I've posted a lengthy tutorial on it to http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15895864&postcount=6

BTW, why don't you just re-rip the DVD's with MakeMKV and demux the video from those MKV's (again, MPEG-2 video files are directly read by iMovie) OR convert it via MPEG Streamclip / Compressor to AIC? I've been recommending this for ages, in several of my replies...

8. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

this is how i have done it (open them with MPEGStreamclip and then Export to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) setting) but I am getting a lot of pixelation (blurry boxes everywhere) and the resulting quality doesn't make it worth it. How do i get good quality?

----------

Sorry I am not ignoring your recommendations. What is remuxing?

I have been able to import the mp4s into imovie by using the MPEG 4 codec in handbrake. I am using meg streamclip to convert this into a format that imovie will take. If i don't use mpreg streamclip, i cannot use the mpeg 2 or the mpeg 4 into imovies direct from handbrake.

I have been using the AIC option. I still don't understand why I am getting the pixelation.

My issue before was that i couldn't get any file into imovie to start the edit. That i can do now. My issue now is that the resulting output is so low in quality. I was told there will be a slight decrease but i'm visualising a 70% decline.

9. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Do you mean you "haven't" been able to?

Post a picture of the pixelation.

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Prolly because of the initial H.264 encoding? That (including all the baddies transcoding does: generation loss) is what you could entirely avoid by either directly importing the original MPEG-2 footage into iMovie or transcoding the MKV file created by MakeMKV (or the original DVD itself) with MPEG Streamclip into AIC or ProRes.

Of the latter, there's an article at http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-bring-a-dvd-video-file-into-final-cut-pro-x/ - you really should give it a try, I'm absolutely sure there wouldn't be any pixelization.

11. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

i am not using the H.264 encoding anymore as it wasn't letting me. Hence why i started to convert using mpeg 4 (ffmpeg) video codec.

what is ProRes. is anyone here based in the UK? Seems i could just give this disks and have it done for me. Life would be so much easier.

12. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

here is an example of what i am seeing in every frame.

Attached Files:

13. simsaladimbamba

H.264 is an MPEG-4 codec, similar to the one you chose in HandBrake.
    ProRes is an editing codec and only meant for Final Cut Pro. iMovie uses the Apple Intermediate Codec.

I already posted a working method to get video DVD footage from a video DVD using a ripping application, MPEG Streamclip and the 20 USD QT MPEG-2 Playback Component in your other thread (post #2 or so). If 20 USD is too much for you to spend on something like this, consider that letting someone else do that for your (getting four video DVDs into iMovie) will cost much more, and may not be even done correctly.

14. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

The bit rate is too low.

Please take either mine, Menneisyys2 or simsaladimbamba's advice. You've found something of a workaround but you're going to keep running into issues if you go an uncharted route.

15. AppleButterfly thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks all. I'm going to take a few weeks of this project as its irritating me. I'm not going to use handbrake anymore and am going to purchase the $20. I pray that is the answer. Failing that, will try other methods. Thanks to all you who replied.