Pixelbook as a MBP Replacement

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google has a pretty steep discount on the Pixelbook. Currently I'm running a mid 2017 MBP with the i7 in the 15 inch configuration. Lately, it feels like I don't use it for anything other than watching videos and browsing the internet.

I guess my question is, does anyone here have any experience with a Chromebook as a replacement for a Macbook Pro?

Mmckee1217

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
Iowa
If that's all you need a computer for, a Chromebook will work perfectly. I used a CB for work for two years and go along fine, but I bought a MacBook Air because I like the os. if you know what your desired uses are a CB should work well.

Reactions: AustinIllini

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Google has a pretty steep discount on the Pixelbook. Currently I'm running a mid 2017 MBP with the i7 in the 15 inch configuration. Lately, it feels like I don't use it for anything other than watching videos and browsing the internet.

I guess my question is, does anyone here have any experience with a Chromebook as a replacement for a Macbook Pro?
Back in August, I replaced my aging 4+ yr old 11" Macbook Air with a Pixelbook. Best Buy was selling it during the Summer with stackable coupons and incentives that made it irresistible.

As for whether or not it can replace YOUR Macbook Pro, it all depends upon what you're using your MBP for. I am able to do everything I needed my MBA to do... except for audio file work and video encoding. That I still do on my iMac. (though with support for Linux apps, I expect to being doing those things on the PB too)

Using the PB as a tablet works pretty well considering its size...and the Google Pen works just as well as the Apple Pencil (though a little discernment is required as not all apps work equally well) It has replaced both my 11" MBA and 12.9" iPad Pro.

Are there specific things that you'd want to do?

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
See, it's weird, there really aren't. Like, I go on the internet on my mac. I use Pixelmator, too but not for anything too serious. My Macbook Pro is just such overkill as a computer.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
See, it's weird, there really aren't. Like, I go on the internet on my mac. I use Pixelmator, too but not for anything too serious. My Macbook Pro is just such overkill as a computer.
That MBP is a pretty expensive system. Unless you can sell it for an insanely good price, I don't see the upside to getting rid of it. Keep it, use it until the wheels fall off, and then get something that is more in line with your needs at that time.

I don't know what they sell for used, so it might be a situation where you can sell it, buy a Pixelbook, and end up with some cash in your pocket.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That MBP is a pretty expensive system. Unless you can sell it for an insanely good price, I don't see the upside to getting rid of it. Keep it, use it until the wheels fall off, and then get something that is more in line with your needs at that time.

I don't know what they sell for used, so it might be a situation where you can sell it, buy a Pixelbook, and end up with some cash in your pocket.
This is what I have decided to go with. I own the MBP so it's cash sunk. I tried the demo unit at Best Buy and I honestly just can't take how big the bezels are compared to my MBP's screen.

Reactions: sracer

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
It can be.. ChromeOS continues to evolve and you have many options now. ChromeOS, Play Store apps and the biggie, Linux! Combine the 3 and most could easily get by on a Chromebook....