Pixelmator Can't Rotate...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tknull, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Tknull macrumors regular

Recently Pixelmator released version 2, and I read a lot of feedback saying very positive things about the program, so i went ahead and purchased it. I wanted a decent, but inexpensive, image editing and enhancing program. By and large I'm pleased with it... but i am very surprised that it does not allow you to rotate a picture to any user specified degree. It only offers 90 or 180 degree rotation.
    This seems a huge lack. I doubt i'm the only person that when taking pictures, i have the camera at a slight tilt. I frequently need to do a slight rotation, of 1 or 2 degrees. It really sucks when doing a lot of editing to have to switch to a different program every time i need to do a rotation. It can't be that hard to program.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

3. Riverrun macrumors regular

Hi Tknull, I'll bet you're still wondering how to rotate an image by required increment? The answer is that the rotation tools are hidden, it would appear, until you move into full-screen mode. It had me puzzled as well and it seems like a senseless thing to do but there you. Try the Transform tool in full-screen mode.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Without FS, you can find transform under edit as mentioned above.

5. Tknull thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Riverrun and Jolly Jimmy.
    Had there not existed a "Rotate" menu option, located under "Picture", perhaps I would have found it. Seems odd to have a Rotate menu, but only with 90 and 180... and then put the user specified options in a different menu entirely. Oh well.
    That said, i do like that you can click and drag to live rotate the picture. I've been using programs where you had to guess on a number... say, 2 degrees.... and see how it looks, and edit undo and try again until you get it right. Much easier to do it live.
    I don't suppose its got a crop feature that automatically selects the portion of the picture without transparency (once you rotate, you have corners that are transparent... and need to crop the image)?