pixelmator final release

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andiwm2003, Sep 22, 2007.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

because of the lack of a universal photoshop elements i think about getting pixelmator. it's supposed to be released soon and i didn't do the beta test. is it worth $49? how does it compare to photoshop elements? does it run good on a G4 powerbook as well as on a C2D?

thanks for the input.

andi

2. weckart macrumors 68040

$49 for beta testers only. $59 is the standard list price. I have not yet installed the second beta, but I was not blown away by the first, which was less intuitive than it looked.
    I think I would prefer Adobe to get its skates on.
    The one good thing I would say is that the store is not charging $1=£1, unlike Adobe, so the £25 it would cost me represents less than the $49 charged to Americans.

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Correct, the $49 is for beta testers only (of which I am one). But I think it's totally worth the money of the full price. It is truly a worthy PhotoShop competitor.

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have the beta via the mac heist bundle and they offer me the $49 deal. i'm just not sure if i should wait for adobe elements for ~$90. i know adobe PS quite well (for an amateur) and you get a lot for your money. it's also some kind of world standard. pixelmator would be an alternative if it would be easier, faster.

can i load it on both of my computers or do they have some annoying policy that forces me to buy two licences? i mean i use it only on one computer a time. and i'm the sole user of both computers.

5. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

The program was released today and there is a demo download available.

6. gvg45 macrumors member

Anybody have any idea when a new version of elements will come out for Mac?

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I thought they just announced it was delayed until sometime in '08.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

"Sometime in 2008" according to ars technica.

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

11. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I had a copy of the beta in the bundle deal from a month or two ago, but never got around to installing... shame as the finished article looks quite nice! May suggest it to my other half who doesn't need CS for her minor editing...

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

After a few minutes of playing with this program, I'm fairly impressed. Overall it works well, and has a nice clean interface.

... but I think it needs:

• precise cursors like Photoshop has, so you can see where you're painting/erasing/editing
    • some of the filters could use finer controls
    • should have a curves adjustment
    • channel mixer needs a monochrome option (for converting photos to black and white)
    • filters need a "Preview" toggle so you can see the before/after effects

I don't really need all that Photoshop has - so I'll probably either be buying Pixelmator or Photoshop Elements when it gets released early next year.

13. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Whilst we are on the subject of image editors, Acorn, from the same guys that wrote the fantastic VoodooPad, has also just been released. Although on the surface it looks simple it is very powerful and at the moment I am liking it even more than Pixelmator. My final choice will be one of these until the much touted Iris following the Leopard release that is.

We Mac users are spoilt sometimes with the quality of the software we get to play with. :D

14. devman macrumors 65816

devman

15. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

tryed it out and love what it can do except it is missing a few key things, i need all the layer effects like shadows, bevels, strokes. Without that stuff it is a none start witch is a shame because it seems to have everything else i need.

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how the release of two immature and not-quite ready for prime-time apps, to fill a gaping hole in the Mac software line-up, makes us spoiled.

These are early releases to fill a application gap; Windows has had good software for hobbyist and quick-and-easy image editing for years. I can't figure why I can't find a decent little editor for my new Mac.

Pixelmator and Acorn look promising. And they could be spoil-a-licious in short order. But at the moment they're both missing basic features. Even if they were free, I'd still opt for Seashore. They're definitely not worth $40-$60 to me yet. But soon, hopefully. Acorn is very promising; it just needs a few little additions... Same for Pixelmator...

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

18. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

wow, just downloaded pixelmator demo. nice application but much less features than photoshop elements 2.0.

and more importantly on my 1.5GHz PB G4 with 2 GB Ram, 5400rpm HD and core image GPU 9700 64 MB it's unusably slow. Photoshop elements screams on my PB, Pixelmator crawls. It takes a second to respond to simple mouse clicks on the menu bar or tool selection. i worked with a 3 MB Jpeg on 2 layers.

so i will wait till i have a MBP in january before i try again and buy it.

if it runs fast on a intel machine then it is high on my software purchase list. for a G4 machine unfortunately not.

19. acrafton macrumors 6502

I played with it a while this morning and I love the interface but it is slow. . .surprisingly slow on my MBP 2.2GH, 2GB. I was doing a clone stamp of a small area and it would go to beach ball for 5 seconds or so every time I stamped.

Unusable unless this gets fixed.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess fast/slow maybe depends on perspective? I haven't tried it on my iMac yet, but on my iBook G4/800/1.125GB, it actually seems as fast or faster than PSE3 (after the comments above, I expected it to be an utter nightmare). The featureset is very limited though, although the things that are there work well.

For instance, it has an unsharp mask that cannot use a radius smaller than one pixel? Mmm... What? :confused: :rolleyes:

21. acrafton macrumors 6502

Well, after reading some of the reviews decided to try again. . .but restarted my Mac and with it being the only thing running (other than Firefox) I did the following:

1. Opened two files - one a photoshop file of a portrait with two layers and minimal editing, and two, a scenic photoshop file with a 3 layers and some masking, etc.
    2. Select a brush - solid, around 20
    3. Draw a line about 3 inches

It took 2-3 seconds to draw a simple solid line. This can't be right - it is instant in PSE and PS under Rosetta. . .similar to my earlier test where clone stamps took 5 seconds.

Any ideas?

22. acrafton macrumors 6502

I'll answer my own question. . .

re performance. It isn't just me but is a bug in the OS Core engine that should be resolved in Leopard:

http://pixelmator.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=331

of course that doesn't explain why PSE and PS don't have the same problem. . .

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually it does. Neither Adobe application uses CoreImage.

Although deeply ironic, it might also explain why I was pleasantly surprised with (good) performance on my (non-CoreImage-GPU) iBook, while many others were unpleasantly surprised with (poor) performance on their CoreImage hardware! :rolleyes: :eek:

24. acrafton macrumors 6502

I guess I meant, if it is so slow. . .why would Pixelmator choose to use it instead of what Adobe has done. Is there some benefit to using the technology? I am guessing that it "should" be faster with the bug fixes...? Otherwise why push it as a benefit (which the do) if it is slower. . .

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, that's the idea. It "should."