Pixelmator (gpu core image photoshop alternative)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speakerwizard, Jun 3, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

hey guys, not seen any mention of this on the forum but this app looks great, maybe not all the features of photoshop but costs a lot less and uses core image, so should be ultra snappy (and probably even better once leopard is out), check it out at Pixelmator.com

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I was convinced that someone must have posted it somewhere since it looks so cool.
    I don't know how well it extends beyond layer modes and basic editing.
    If, for example, the logo they created could be replicated in it, then I'd be impressed.

They've yet to host any images on the site not created in Photoshop. That's not too shocking but it'd be nice to see proper examples.

EDIT: Actually, the emphasis does seem to be on editing images.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't heard about it before... sounds like a fairly ambitious project. Looks like it has a very nice user interface, from the video on TUAW. At $59, I suppose I would consider getting it as a competitor to PSE, especially since it should be able to take advantage of the fact that my iMac may not be a C2D but it does have an at least okayish 128MB video card.

4. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

they have a tech spec list http://www.pixelmator.com/specs/ and the essentials (layer modes, filters, masks, colour correction etc plus the major tools) all seem to be there and more importantly, very easy to find if youve been using photoshop for years, looking forward to a trial version or beta

5. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

It doesn't seem to have any sort of shape-based, vector tools. I think I'd be too used to Photoshop which is a pity.
    Although, it is only working towards 1.0. It'll be worth watching.

6. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes they said in the forum vectors will prob be added in a 1.X release :) as well as a few other things (curves)

7. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Oh, that's awesome! I think they said if you purchase it when it's released, any update until 2.0 will be free.
    Pretty cool.

8. BlackDan macrumors 6502

I'm gonna give it a try. GIMP is not too stable in my experience, so I might try this one. I'm not a graphician so I am not gonna spend the money on PS and I'm not gonna pirate it either so... looks like a good alternative.

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yeah thats one thing that pisses me off about GIMP is the lack of shape tools.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I poked around the website a bit... is there any way to get involved in beta testing?