Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pixelmator today announced that it will be bringing a full-fledged version of its popular image editing app to the iPad, first showing it off at Apple's special media event earlier today and giving more details on its blog.

pixelmatoripad.jpg
Like the Mac version, Pixelmator for iPad is a layer-based image editor that allows users to edit images in a non-destructive fashion and create illustrations. The app features a painting engine with retouching tools for photos, a touch-optimized painting engine, and a number of effects for typography, shapes, and more. Pixelmator for iPad also is compatible with Photoshop documents and can work with Pixelmator for Mac through iCloud or through OS X Yosemite's Handoff feature.

Pixelmator for iPad will sell for $4.99 when it launches later this year.

Article Link: Pixelmator Launching Full-Fledged Image Editing App for iPad Later This Year

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Will it work with continuity on my iMac?

Anyway, I don't care at the moment as I'm wait for Apple to release Yosemite on the Mac App Store, hurry up!

Comment

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
These guys have made an amazing desktop image editing app

For the price its incredible and from their demo the iPad version looks awesome too

Well done pixelmator and congrats on the apple feature

Comment

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Can't Wait

I already have iDraw on iPad, now Pixelmator, this is really exciting, Can't Wait.

I got Pixelmator from MAS when it was on version 1, they gave us version 2 for free, then version 3 for free and now the iPad app will cost 4.99$, this is generosity

Last edited:
Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
iDraw quickly shot down in price today after the announcement.

I had it on my price watch list in AppTicker Push.

All hail Apple Connect I guess...

Catch them before they read the news. :D

I already have iDraw on iPad, now Pixelmator, this is really exciting, Can't Wait.

I got Pixelmator from MAS when it was on version 1, they gave us version for free, then version 3 for free and now the iPad app will cost 4.99$, this is generosity

And yet Adobe keeps crippling its licensing models.
Such as offering Lightroom for iPad only through subscription.
Or CS6 being the last offline Creative Suite.
Those are biggies.

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
$4.99 is a steal. Instant buy.

Also, a big thumbs up to the Pixelmator guys if they read this. Fantastic product. Adobe's subscription model has brought them in to the spotlight, but they were great well before that.

Comment

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
This was probably the highlight of the keynote for me. Was always going to be an instant purchase when released and I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My abandonment of Adobe and their subscription model draws ever closer...

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Hopefully this app will kick Adobe's butt into gear. Photoshop Touch has a long way to go! But in reality, none of these apps will get a lot better until these devices start shipping with more RAM. You can't get around that issue for image editing.

Comment

temhawk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Good for them.

In retrospect, I always felt like Pixelmator was more of an iOS app. The desktop version is just too buggy and cumbersome to use for anything more than simple touch-ups.

Comment

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
I have nothing....

....to add, but to say I'm very happy about this also. This and iDraw really kill the 'the iPad is just a toy' argument. At least for my usage.

Comment

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Love these guys. Awesome, humane pricing model as well. I don't exactly need Pixelmator on my iPad (already have the Mac version and I'm also Adobe CC subscriber), but at this price I will immediately buy it just to support them! :)

Comment

temhawk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I have never heard of Affinity. Now this looks like something I could use. Honestly, from the teaser video alone it looks like a much more powerful tool. Single-window interface, and probably lots of keyboard shortcuts since it looks to be geared towards actual designers. I don't think it's even comparable to Pixelmator.

Here's to hoping they make more use of the menu bar, though. It looks a bit barren up there.

Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I have never heard of Affinity. Now this looks like something I could use. Honestly, from the teaser video alone it looks like a much more powerful tool. Single-window interface, and probably lots of keyboard shortcuts since it looks to be geared towards actual designers. I don't think it's even comparable to Pixelmator.

Here's to hoping they make more use of the menu bar, though. It looks a bit barren up there.

Dude they're incredible. They custom designed their whole graphics engine so they have stuff like butter smooth infinity zoom and more. I'm assuming that they're going to have Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher all use the same core engine which is blazing fast and add the pieces they need.

Finally a shot in the arm for Mac users getting tired of Adobe's crap.

Comment

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
It is Comparable IMO

Affinity is the OmniFocus while Pixelmator is the Things of the Graphics apps.

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this is a great and informative thread. learning about some new stuff here/

Thanks.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.