Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular photo editing and art creation software Pixelmator Pro received a major update today, adding a number of new and improved features.

Pixelmator Pro 1.3 "Prism" introduces layer color tags, layer filtering and search, support for clipping masks, and quick opacity and blending controls located in the Layers side bar.

pixelmatorpro-800x500.jpg

With the color tags feature, Pixelmator Pro users can better organize their layers, while the filtering features make it possible to filter out layers based on layer type or color tag.

Finding objects is easy in layer-heavy creations with the new search feature, and with clipping masks, you can clip the contents of one layer to the outline of another. Clipping masks are designed to let digital artists create better masks with the existing objects in a design.

Clipping masks can be created from any layer, including text, images, layer groups, and nested shapes. The update also includes additional bug fixes and improvements, such as better support for exporting Photoshop documents and an improved nondestructive editing workflow.

Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $39.99. The update is free for existing users. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Gains Clipping Masks, Layer Improvements and More

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I can't believe it didnt have clipping masks already. I've got base Pixelmator, and tbh it's less great than I thought it would be. Not exactly a Photoshop substitute IMO, yet.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I can't believe it didnt have clipping masks already. I've got base Pixelmator, and tbh it's less great than I thought it would be. Not exactly a Photoshop substitute IMO, yet.

It's great that they have the true clipping mask function now, but previously you could achieve the same result using other tools...just not as convenient.

GoAndrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Pixelmator Team

Before now, Pixelmator Pro had a way to achieve the exact same result for most workflows, but with this update, we've added clipping masks the way PS does them. Which (perhaps surprisingly) is pretty tricky to do and not many image editors other than PS have true clipping masks.

Time for an obvious question — what kind of features would you like to see in an image editor like Pixelmator Pro?

Reactions: mccaffertee

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Before now, Pixelmator Pro had a way to achieve the exact same result for most workflows, but with this update, we've added clipping masks the way PS does them. Which (perhaps surprisingly) is pretty tricky to do and not many image editors other than PS have true clipping masks.

Time for an obvious question — what kind of features would you like to see in an image editor like Pixelmator Pro?
Is the colour overlay coming when using brushes, please?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Not 100% sure what you mean here, sorry — might just be my brain refusing to work, but do you have a visual example of what you'd like to see?

1991 was a pretty good year!
Something like this. Basically you have colour representation where you are painting the effect. Last time I've check Pixelmator PRO didn't have this and there was some weird workaround. To me this is important. Aperture was good with this tool too.
Skip to about 2m40s

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Glad to see real competition is back. It’s good for consumers.

I see Quark is back too! I’ll have to check it out.

I pay about $55 a month for Adobe, with tax. Maybe I can replace it and save s lot of money?

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Who are these Johnny-come-lately apps marketed to? Hobbyists and recreational artists? I can see a young person cutting his teeth on such apps until he decides if he wants to pursue it as a profession. Otherwise, decided students can get a substantial discount on Adobe's apps until they become employed professionals.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

I love both pieces of software but i'll be honest after buying Pro I rarely use it - i'm a bit confused about if it's supposed to be a long term replacement for normal Pixelmator which seems to do more? Are there things Pro can do that the normal Pixelmator can't? Because it seems easier to use standard.

GoAndrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Pixelmator Team
Something like this. Basically you have colour representation where you are painting the effect. Last time I've check Pixelmator PRO didn't have this and there was some weird workaround. To me this is important. Aperture was good with this tool too.
Skip to about 2m40s

Oh, awesome, yeah, I understand now — basically a visual representation of a mask on the image. That's on the feature request list and, while it's not being developed just now, we do still have it in mind.

It would be great if the app store would push the update. I am still on 1.2.x

That happens sometimes — the one solution I'm aware of is moving the current version to the Trash and downloading a fresh copy from the App Store. Seems to always do the trick.

I love both pieces of software but i'll be honest after buying Pro I rarely use it - i'm a bit confused about if it's supposed to be a long term replacement for normal Pixelmator which seems to do more? Are there things Pro can do that the normal Pixelmator can't? Because it seems easier to use standard.

This blog post should explain things at least a little: https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2018/11/16/the-difference-between-pixelmator-and-pixelmator-pro/

GoAndrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Pixelmator Team
It does clarify things a little, but not completely. Is the original Pixelmator going to receive feature updates any more, or should we see Pixelmator Pro more as a Pixelmator 2?

Pixelmator Pro is the new Pixelmator (or Pixelmator 2, or however you want to call it, basically it's the continuation of Pixelmator). In hindsight, we could've done a better job with the name...

We haven't ruled out smaller feature updates for Pixelmator completely but the focus is Pixelmator Pro, and we'll eventually stop updating Pixelmator (as much as it kind of hurts to type those words). Though we haven't yet set a timeframe in stone.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Oh, awesome, yeah, I understand now — basically a visual representation of a mask on the image. That's on the feature request list and, while it's not being developed just now, we do still have it in mind.
Do you have an ETA please? Ie. is it going to be this year? This is basically a make or break feature for me and I wonder if I should learn Pixelmator Pro or go Affinity. I really don't wanna do both. I hate learning new software as its so time consuming. Thats why I'm asking :D

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada

Yeah, I have to be honest in that I keep going back to Pixelmator, even though I have Pixelmator Pro. The UI confuses the heck out of me. I don't even know how to reliably 'export for web' anymore (which is one of the main things I do). I'll have to look into their forums or some tutorials one of these days. Un-intuitive, IMO.

The big thing for me (why I upgraded... but now that it seems it's Pixelmator 2, even more the reason), is for the vector abilities (which I haven't had much time to use yet). but, I wish there was more UI continuity.

GoAndrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Pixelmator Team
Yeah, I have to be honest in that I keep going back to Pixelmator, even though I have Pixelmator Pro. The UI confuses the heck out of me. I don't even know how to reliably 'export for web' anymore (which is one of the main things I do). I'll have to look into their forums or some tutorials one of these days. Un-intuitive, IMO.

The big thing for me (why I upgraded... but now that it seems it's Pixelmator 2, even more the reason), is for the vector abilities (which I haven't had much time to use yet). but, I wish there was more UI continuity.

Which parts of exporting for web are you having trouble with? Pixelmator Pro is objectively far more flexible (and full-featured) for this, but some things might be hidden away, so if we can make them easier to find, we probably should.

As for continuity, that's difficult to argue against. We decided on a pretty radical redesign (to create a very Mac-native app), so in a way, we're starting with a brand new app from scratch. But in each update, along with big new things, we're adding little things here and there to make the transition from Pixelmator smoother. And all feedback on this topic is much appreciated.
[doublepost=1548235999][/doublepost]
Do you have an ETA please? Ie. is it going to be this year? This is basically a make or break feature for me and I wonder if I should learn Pixelmator Pro or go Affinity. I really don't wanna do both. I hate learning new software as its so time consuming. Thats why I'm asking :D

ETAs are a dangerous thing. Just ask the good folks at Apple... :D This probably won't come in the first half of the year, but might be an option for the second half. It really depends on how our overall plans pan out.

Reactions: Freida

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Which parts of exporting for web are you having trouble with? Pixelmator Pro is objectively far more flexible (and full-featured) for this, but some things might be hidden away, so if we can make them easier to find, we probably should.

As for continuity, that's difficult to argue against. We decided on a pretty radical redesign (to create a very Mac-native app), so in a way, we're starting with a brand new app from scratch. But in each update, along with big new things, we're adding little things here and there to make the transition from Pixelmator smoother. And all feedback on this topic is much appreciated.
[doublepost=1548235999][/doublepost]

ETAs are a dangerous thing. Just ask the good folks at Apple... :D This probably won't come in the first half of the year, but might be an option for the second half. It really depends on how our overall plans pan out.
Please make it an option. I would deem it very useful feature. :)

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Thanks

I think

"Pixelmator Pro is not a ‘professional’ version and Pixelmator is not an ‘entry-level’ version."

Is the biggest mistake you made in the naming, should have just called it Pixelmator 2 to be honest because naming it pro makes it sounds exactly like that and there seems to be no reason to use the pro moniker than to indicate anything else.

Also I agree with SteveW928, I don't find it any where near as intuitive and I often give up trying to use it as I can't work out how to do some simple stuff i'd nail in seconds in Pixelmator 1.

Reactions: SteveW928

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I'm always confused why these basic tools are even advertised or arrive so late.
The other day I saw a software advertising that it has 'crop' feature. I mean come on, its 2019 - these features should be given. Any editing software should have that.

And as of Pixelmator Pro - I agree, it doesn't feel like 'PRO' and to me its not very suitable for portrait photography.
I've been asking for the 'colour overlay' feature for a long time and it just doesn't seem to be on the horizon. Aperture had it in 2012. Why not 'PRO' software?

GoAndrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Pixelmator Team
Also I agree with SteveW928, I don't find it any where near as intuitive and I often give up trying to use it as I can't work out how to do some simple stuff i'd nail in seconds in Pixelmator 1.

Long shot, I know (and I keep asking this) but what kind of simple stuff are you having trouble with in Pixelmator Pro? This is purely out of my own personal interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.