Pixelmator Pro Gains Redesigned Color Balance Adjustment, New Automator Actions, and More

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular Mac-based photo and image editing software Pixelmator Pro received a significant update today, introducing several new features.

The update includes a wheel-like redesigned Color Balance adjustment option designed to offer a more "fluid and intuitive" way to adjust the color balance of photos. According to the Pixelmator team, the feature was inspired by professional video grading and editing tools.

[​IMG]

With the new color adjustment tool, users can add color tint to shadows, midtones, and highlights while also adjusting the brightness and saturation of the colors. Color Balance can also be improved automatically using a new Core ML-powered algorithm.

Today's update also allows users to resize images using scaling algorithms. The Lanczos algorithm, for example, better preserves small details when cutting down on the size of an image, while Nearest Neighbor allows for the resizing of pixel art while keeping the blocky design.

Two new Pixelmator Pro actions for Automator are included as well, as is a new Grain adjustment tool that adds frame-style grain in a "more natural and realistic way."

Pixelmator Pro recently won Apple's Mac App of the Year award for its range of professional level editing tools available at an affordable price.

Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store at a $29.99 price until Friday, at which point the cost of the app will go back up to $39.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Gains Redesigned Color Balance Adjustment, New Automator Actions, and More

2. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Kinda annoyed, the darker dark mode with previous versions looked much better. Now the "dark mode" is way to light, also, they added a "separated" titlebar for the app, before it was blended into the rest of the app.

The feature improvements are great though

3. GoAndrius macrumors newbie

GoAndrius

I do understand the comments re. our dark mode change, but the Mac-native version just seems like the more logical option for an app like ours. In any case, glad you like the new features — if there's anything else you'd like us to add, we're always listening. ;)

4. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

For what it's worth, I like new dark and light modes more :)

5. Aldaris, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

I heard there was a Pro iOS app in development too, is that still the case?

*(from Pixelmator blog 11/7/17)

“Oh, and Pixelmator Pro 1.0 Whirlwind will launch with a price of $59 as we want as many of you as possible to be able to afford it. However, we don’t think the price will stay that low for too long. It will go up as soon as we ship free updates with major new features (that are not yet announced but are in the works already) as well as Pixelmator Pro for iPad (which is a great friend of Pixelmator Pro for Mac), Vectormator, and more. The intended original price for Pixelmator Pro is $99 and we plan to ship big updates quickly.”

*** it very well could have been a typo that got traction on macrumors and 9to5mac, etc :(

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I really hope you heard that right!

7. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Is the "standard" Pixelmator soon dead? I mean, how long will they update it?

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Uff, don't give them any ideas... I don't want my $10.00 + $10.00 thrown in the garbage.

9. Freida macrumors 65816

any chance for frequency separation feature for portrait photography, please?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not sure if it does this or not but if you ever add the ability to drive a lens blur via a depth map like how Photoshop does I'll buy Pixelmator Pro in a heartbeat.

I bought Affinity Photo thinking it did this based on some forum comments but it does not, and I'd rather not go back to Photoshop. It sounds silly but its super useful to those of us who do 3D work. It lets us render our regular image, render a depth map, then adjust the bokeh based on clicking somewhere in the image.

11. MvdM macrumors regular

How does it perform on the new MacBook Air and Mac mini, without gpu?

12. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

It was updated just last week.

13. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

14. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I'm a bit confused about this too. First I bought Pixelmator, then I heard there's Pro with more and better features, therefore I also purchased the Pro. Now when I google for help I always get a mixed bag of results, some for Pixelmator, some for Pro, some things just work there, other's there. It's messy IMO.

15. elemenohme macrumors regular

There are still no object alignment tools in Pixelmator, correct? I've asked for those repeatedly over the years, and have mostly switched back to Adobe software due to this glaring omission.