Pixelmator, Thoughts on?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravenvii, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I am planning to buy Photoshop CS3 eventually (when funds allow...), as I do some photo editing and image work. But it's purely for my own amusement, and Photoshop IS much more than what I really need. But what can you do?

But then someone posted a link to Pixelmator (link here). I am wondering what you guys think of it? How does it's future look as far as development is concerned? Is it any good, and are there better alternatives I don't know about?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Eusebius macrumors member

Here are two reviews of pixelmator that you might find interesting.
    http://tonioloewald.blogspot.com/2007/09/pixelmator-another-core-image-based.html
    http://macapper.com/2007/09/26/pixelmator-review/

My reaction when I tried it out for a few days was "A for effort, C for implementation." They mean well, but how can you leave something as basic as red-eye correction out of an image editor?

If Photoshop is overkill for you -- it is for me too -- try Photoshop Elements 4. It amply suits all my editing needs. Since Version 4 is pre-Intel, it is a mite slow here and there, but not enough to annoy. An Intel-native version 5 is supposedly in the works for next year.

I have heard good things about Seashore, but have not ever tried it myself.
    http://seashore.sourceforge.net/feature.php

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I tried Photoshop Elements 3.0 once, and it's so limiting. It sucks, plain and simple. Is ver. 4 better?

Thanks for the links to the reviews! I'll also look at Seashore.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I gave pixelmator a whirl before, I like how it's been done, but because it runs from the GPU as opposed to the CPU, it renders filters and such rather slowly on my macbook.

However it does seem quite capable.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Pixelmator doesn't seem to work very well on Leopard. However, a more important problem may on the horizon; the developers seem to have gone awol! Take a look at their forums for more information. :(

On a happier note, I would recommend Acorn. It isn't as feature rich as Pixelmator and others (GraphicConvertor and PS Elements etc.) but it is more than suitable for general image editing, is cheaper and, if the rumors are true, much better supported both now and in the future.

Chocoflop might also interest you, it is still in beta but free for the time being.

7. Slumbercub macrumors regular

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, thanks for that. I won't bother with Pixelmator after all. Seems the developers have a "colorful" past.

9. Slumbercub macrumors regular

The developers for Pixelmator have made a reappearance and have stated they are working very hard on a Leopard compatibility patch. If you want to try it, I would wait a couple of weeks.

I tried both but settled on Acorn.

10. skwij macrumors 6502

11. brian0526 macrumors regular

I've found Pixelmator is missing the magnetic lasso tool. It's the one tool I use more than anything in PSE. So, that's a big problem. Same with Acrorn.

Looks like I'm going to have to take the gamble that PSE 4 might work on Leopard on my Intel iMac. I seem to have no other options.

BTW, the brothers are back and promising a fully Leopard compatible version of Pixelmator.