Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Tourer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
As a casual web and graphics designer, I need a semi-serious image editing utility. Since I no longer have access to my school's CS license, I'm at a crossroads...

Do I buy my own copy of Photoshop CS (I don't pirate, I'm not 15 anymore and actually have paying clients) for a buttload of money...

...or...

...do I spend a lot less and buy the beautiful but arguably less-capable Pixelmator?

Anyone made this choice and have something to weigh in on it? Help would be appreciated! :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It would depend on whether you make use of all of Photoshop's bells and whistles
It can do some incredible things, but most users never come close to using it's full capabilities

If you will use it fully, the Photoshop
If you will only be using standard tools, etc. then Pixelmator is an excellent choice for the $$

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Less capable might be right but what of the tons of fency function of PS you often need ?

I had once bought a version of PS but for my hobby needs is was too expensive and overkill.

Today I'm happy with what PM deliver.

Proposal: start with PM; when you see lack of function try next PS Express; still lack get the full CS.

PM is "cheap"; in a very positive meaning; can even work later together twitch PS.

The Tourer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Thanks for the replies, guys! What sorts of tools do you find yourself missing in Pixelmator that you have in Photoshop that you really need for from-scratch UI component and logo design?

----------

Thanks for being useful!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I haven't really missed anything from full Photoshop
I use Photoshop Elements and Pixelmator for most everything

I know the full Photoshop can do amazing things
But I just don't need the additional capabilities for the things I do
Nor do I have the time to learn all of the nuances for an occasional edit

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
This is like... kazoo vs. music studio.

Pixelmator is great... but it doesn't hold a candle to Photoshop. I think Pixelmator is more for casual image editing. You have paying clients and I can guarantee you that you're going to need the capabilities of Photoshop at some point in your work.

You can get PS for significantly cheaper with a student discount if you are eligible.

Like someone else said... you could TRY Pixelmator out for a while (it IS only 15 bucks) and if you find it too crippling for your workflow, then by all means... bust out the big guns.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I use to have Photoshop when I was working as a graphic designer, but since I've moved on to a different career, I no longer have the software.

Yesterday, I needed to create a goofy image for someone by taking a picture of a friend and swapping their head onto a different body. I downloaded the Pixelmator demo to give it a try and was very impressed by the app.

The shortcuts and tools are different than photoshop, but I found it was actually really easy to do the edits that I had to do.

With the current price, I think I'm going to buy the full version to have on hand for this type of fun stuff.

Now if you need an editor to produce CMYK press ready graphics, Photoshop is obviously the way to go. But for simpler things, I found Pixelmator to work great.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Photoshop is more feature rich but I'd say unless you're a professional most people don't need that level of complexity or features. I think the biggest thing that PS has over Pixelmator is plugins to extend the functionality. I don't use a lot but I do have a few.

For most of my work I'm used to Ps though I'm not a heavy user by any stretch of the word. Now that I have a retina MBP and I'm only on PS 5, I'll probably start using pixelmator more then PS just because its current and I don't want to drop $$$$ on the new version of PS

toymaker1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Photoshop or other?

As a casual web and graphics designer, I need a semi-serious image editing utility. Since I no longer have access to my school's CS license, I'm at a crossroads...

Do I buy my own copy of Photoshop CS (I don't pirate, I'm not 15 anymore and actually have paying clients) for a buttload of money...

...or...

...do I spend a lot less and buy the beautiful but arguably less-capable Pixelmator?

Anyone made this choice and have something to weigh in on it? Help would be appreciated! :)

If you do just non- vector artwork, rather than modifying photos, then Pixelmator is brilliant.
For what it does, Pixelmator is stunning. Very intuitive to use.
I am addicted to it.

Regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.