Pixelmator

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oblomow, Nov 29, 2014.

1. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

I have no commercial interest but if anyone wants to buy pixelmator: it's on sale. Pixelmator for Mac is going down to $14.99, and Pixelmator for iPad launch promotion extends for another week. It is still just $4.99.

Just bought it. For less than 14 euros, it's fun to play with.

2. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

If Pixelmator would come with instructions I would have taken my time giving it a try. It seems to be a very nice app with a lot of features, but has a steep learning curve. I paid full price for it a few weeks ago, and bought an user manual from Amazon.

3. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

True, and the instruction videos are very short and basic. But it is very powerful if you can find the right buttons. I could remove my wife from a photo in 2 clicks and for less than 14 euros...

4. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I used the spot removal tool to remove unwanted spots on several old photo scans, and found it a lot more accurate and clean than CS6.

By the way, another real nice and powerful application is Graphic Converter (called "the poor man's PhotoShop"). GC Version 9 is now being sold at the App Store for $39.95 (I have version 8).

5. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

GC came bundled with my (now deceased) powerbook. I considered getting a new license however I realized I hardly used it. Perhaps it has changed, so it's worth getting another look.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

It's a good app to have installed along CS, LightRoom, and the rest. It does quite a nice job with scanners, or just to download photos from any camera, including the iPod, iPad, and iPhone. I have CS5 and 6 installed on my desktop, and GC on my laptop.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Definitely it's changed. Got an excellent browser, lots of metadata scripts, geolocation, editing, and of course very sophisticated conversions. I use it as my photo browser (as opposed to DAM) especially since it's more retina aware than Preview. It has excellent support; download the demo and try it (you can also buy direct on the web instead of the Mac App Store). It also gets RAW support for cameras before OS X.

8. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Thank you, just bought it myself

Cheers :)

Hugh

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

10. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Well, I already had v 1.5.1 which I use on the iMac (Snow Leopard), but still works fine in Mavericks on the MBA, so like you said it's a bargain to upgrade to the latest.

Cheers :)

Hugh

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I had the briefest of plays last night. The tutorial I wasn't watching wasn't the best. I'll hunt some down on YouTube over the weekend.

12. Razeus macrumors 601

Pixelmator is a major part of my movie away from Adobe as my one year requirement is over on the 12th.

13. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

If you find something, please post it here. I played with it and am impressed by what it can do but I can certainly use some more help.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

15. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I've replaced GIMP with Pixelmator and so far haven't found anything lacking or any features missing. I mostly use it to create thumbnails and stuff for YouTube or any bits of graphic design I might need to do.