Pixels flickering on new UNI 17-inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by latempete, Feb 22, 2009.

1. latempete macrumors member

I just received my unibody 17-inch MBP Friday. After I switched to the discrete graphics card I stared to get lines of green pixels flickering on the screen. I have tried logging out and back in. I tried switching between graphics cards. The 9400 works fine but as soon as i switch back to the 9600 the flickering pixels come back. Restarting helps but they come back. :( I have all the updates loaded. Does anyone else have this problem? Please look at the picture and let me know what you think.

This computer was a replacement for a broken late-2008 MBP. I'd hate to have to send this one back too.

Attached Files:

2. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

3. latempete thread starter macrumors member

I think so too. I just emailed the case manager (who got me this computer)
    with the same information posted above and the picture. If no one else is having this problem I can't assume it's a driver issue.

I'll keep posting what happens here in case anyone else runs into this problem.

4. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

Looks like a broken connection, but could be a faulty logic board, does it happen on both graphics cards? the 9400 or when your using the 9600?

Get the laptop replaced since its obviously less than 14 days old and your entitled to that, dont settle for a repair, you want to whole machine replaced, yes it may take a bit longer because their arnt many around but you should get the first one to hit the stores and it will be much better for you if you have a duff laptop.

5. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Looks like the 9600GT discrete chip is flaky. Have it changed. The problem with Apple's so called "zero QC" rule is that these things happen. Even if I got a refurb with this, I will return it. You paid for all the components in there and expect them to function properly to specifications, or else ...you will keep returning until they got it right period.:(

6. latempete thread starter macrumors member

It only happens with the 9600.

You are all right. The computer is less than 2 days old and although I had to wait over a month to get it I shouldn't settle for a repair. I'd rather wait for another brand new one than have this one fixed. I'll keep you posted.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is terrible news, this seems like the 30" acd's dancing pixel issue. With the 30" acd no one knows why to this day because the dancing pixels occur with different gpus installed as well.

But in this case it's only with the 9600m gt card, maybe it's defective but hopefully most 17" doesn't have this issue because it would be a pita to wait for a software update as apple takes forever to address issues via software.

8. satrycon macrumors member

your nvidia card is screwed. get the laptop replaced or board changed.

9. 123free macrumors member

I have a similar problem:
    When I change from 9400 to 9600, it sometimes happens (3-4 out of 10, I think). I just change back to 9400 and then change to 9600 again. It will be fine.
    I think it is a driver issue and will wait for a while (it is covered by one year warranty, and if it is a hardware problem, I would replace it later)

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I don't have this issue on mine. I've switched and switched and switched between the GPUs and I've yet to get any weird things happening.

Sorry about yours dude :(

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It looks like you have artifacts due to a bad GPU Core or bad GPU memory.

12. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

I know this is somewhat unrelated, and I don't even have a new unibody mbp but, out of curiosity, can you manually switch between the video cards? Is there some kind of option in the preferences, or is it automatic?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did not want to create a whole new thread for it.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes you can, its in power options.

14. isethx macrumors regular

oh man, that sucks. sorry to hear that. i have nothing like that happening

15. latempete thread starter macrumors member

The flickering problem only seems to happen when the computer is warm. I just recreated the problem and it was just warm. Not even very warm like it gets after I have been using the proccessor and/or superdrive a lot. For example, loading programs. That is what I was doing when the flickering occured both times. But once it starts it does not go away.

Also, It happens under both OS X and Windows Vista 64-bit.

The problem is intermittent. How is Apple with intermittent problems? What if their techs can't recreate the problem? Will they just try to send this computer back to me? Or will they accept my photo as proof of the problem?

I can't get ahold of my original case manager until Thursday at the earliest (he is out until then) and I don't want to start over with Applecare because I am worried that they will just return this malfunctioning computer to me. :(

This sucks. It is a beautiful computer. I just wish I didn't end up with another dud. :-/

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Talk to apple. Its called "artifacts". basically either your video card (core) or video ram is bad.

17. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Whether or not it's intermittent, you have a picture of it. Use that picture to your advantage and don't settle with Apple saying that the computer passed their test. This is obviously not a characteristic that one expects from a $300 laptop let alone a $3000 laptop.

Hope you get it replaced.

18. latempete thread starter macrumors member

Apple is replacing my computer.

Apple is replacing my computer with a new one. It wasn't difficult to get them to agree that it was a hardware issue. Just as all of you said it was. Thanks for all the help, BTW!

At least this time it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to get my new laptop. I wish mine being broken would give me head of the line privledges. :(