PixelSkin HD.........WTF!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bryann9182, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bryann9182 macrumors regular

Ok guys so i'm hearing more and more about the PixelSkin HD and how there is a revised version that really really sucks compared to the old version. I've heard complaints about the newer version having buttons that are very hard to push and this and that. Well I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I have two of these cases. One was bought from Amazon.com and the other was from Specks website. I bought the second one off Speck's website because at first I believed that I had gotten the crappy version of the case on Amazon. Here are some pictures of the case side by side.

The first one I bought (from Amazon) is a darker color and more of a "plastic-y" texture. It has flatter buttons all around and on this one, the buttons are somewhat harder to press. The one I bought from Specks site has a more rubbery look to it. The buttons are outlined and seem a little easier to press. Here are the pics

http://picsend.net/images/308015newontherigh.JPG

http://picsend.net/images/892237pixel.JPG
    Amazon version on top, Speck version on the bottom

http://picsend.net/images/94535pixel.JPG
    Amazon Version on top, Speck version on the bottom

http://picsend.net/images/434607pixel.JPG
    Same thing, Amazon on top...Speck on the bottom

So here's where I am confused. The buttons on the Amazon one are harder to press, so I emailed Speck and asked if they could send me another one. They sent me the one that was more rubbery. However, NEITHER of these cases have the key shape cut out like the "old" model has. Neither of them have the visible outline going around the edge on the back of them like the new ones have, but they have the new camera cut out. If these are both the same version of the case, why does the material feel different, and why do the buttons look and feel different? If these are in fact both the new and crappy version of the case, where can I go about getting the original??

2. bryann9182 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the double thread, meant to edit the first one to fix the images and somehow lagged and made a new thread =/

3. megsalias macrumors regular

My guess is the one that you got from Amazon is a fake.

I can't really speak for the new verison of the HD though. I have the original (free from Apple after I got my phone), but I've never really used it, and I don't remember much about it.

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

There are 3 versions

1. original, easy to press, soft, keyhole camera cutout (this is what most of the reviews were based on)
    2. revised, hard to press, firm, oval camera cutout (this is the one everyone complained about, and seems like the one you got from Amazon)
    3. revised again, easy to press, soft, oval camera cutout (this one seems to be well-liked and the one you got from Speck and probably the replacement for the Amazon one.)

I found it hard to keep track of which ones you have but I tried to guess which is which.

Try not to worry about which is the "right" one....just see if you like one of the three. If you do, be happy with it! :)

5. bryann9182 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really like either of them to be honest. The version that I received from Speck is slightly better, but still not very good.

I just put both of them on my phone to test out the buttons and there's really only a slight difference between the two. The buttons aren't super hard to press, but they aren't exactly easy to press, or tactile either. The volume buttons give little feedback, as well as the sleep/wake button.

I e-mailed Speck about this asking them if they could help me clarify this. Still waiting on a response. Does anyone know a site where they have purchased a PixelSkin and receive the original model? or if anyone is selling an original model please let me know.

6. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I have the number 3 version, (received as a replacement from speck for the number 2 version) and it looks like the one you received from Speck. The buttons aren't horribly difficult to press, and it's easy to get off and on the phone. My number 2 version took someone with long nails and a lot of patience to get off.