PixelSpeck HD case for 5S - Disappointed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jamesryanbell, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

The PixelSpeck HD case (which I think was the hands-down best case on the market for the 4S, and seemed to fit the 5 just as well) is merely a holdover case for the 5S, and is just rebranded to say "fits iPhone 5 and 5S". After reading a few Amazon "didn't fit my 5S properly" reviews, I bought one anyway, given that the 5 and 5S SUPPOSEDLY share the same physical dimensions. However, the 5S *seems* to be very, very slightly thinner or something. The case just doesn't fit well at all. When you grip the case around the phone, it feels like it's crunching over the sides every time. I'm just trying to figure out why. Did they change anything as far as physical dimensions (even slightly)? I can't figure out why it doesn't fit, and I really wanted this particular case for my phone. Anyone else have the same problem?

2. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

I have been using it on my iPhone 5 since it came out and it's a great case in my opinion.
    The fit is indeed a bit wider than the 4/4S, but it doesn't bother me that much.

3. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I, too, have a PixelSkin HD from my 5, and I found that it just does not fit correctly. When I grab it there is a enough of give that it makes it uncomfortable to use. Fits my old 5 perfectly snug, 5S it's too loose. I don't have an official way to measure it but the 5S seems micrometers thinner, which is just enough to make this case not fit the 5S correctly. For now I am using my 5S naked because of this.

4. kerbero9 macrumors member

Tuck a business card or cut some card stock to fit between the case and phone. Should make up the difference and tighten it up for you.

Not the ideal solution but...

5. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

It's probably just the case that you recieved. I've heard a lot of complains that some Pixelskin HD's aren't exactly the same dimensions as they should be, if you contact Speck you could recieve a replacement. I'm using a Black Pixelskin HD I use to use on my 5 on my 5s and it fits perfectly.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Speck needs to update the Pixelskin HD for the iPhone 5S or lose a lot of sales.

Shame on them for passing off old as suitable for new.

7. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Agreed. Sending mine back today.

8. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

If "fits perfectly" means that it doesn't move around in the case, then my 5S fit perfectly too in that regard. What I didn't like was when I squeezed the sides of the case around the phone (like a tight grip), I could feel the case move (where I was gripping it). On my 4S it didn't do that.

9. jlately macrumors newbie

I've had a Pixel Skin HD case on my iPhone 4 for the past three years, and have never wanted another case. I ordered one for my yet to arrive 5S, but now I'm wondering if I should return it for the Apple leather case. It's interesting that you say it fit the 5, but not the 5S. I was under the impression that they were the same dimensions and the only difference was in the cut out needed for the camera and flash.

10. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

That's the catch. They ARE supposed to be the same dimensions. The fact of the matter is that there are *VERY* slight differences that cause the case not to fit exactly right. It doesn't slip top to bottom or side to side. It just crunches when you squeeze it on the sides.

11. Jman13, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Jman13 macrumors 68000

They are the same dimensions. Do you honestly think Apple would retool the entire aluminum shell machining in order to make it imperceptibly smaller? That's an enormous amount of machinery to retool for no reason. Heck, being able to use the same tooling for two generations of phones is the whole reason they don't change the design on the S models. They are the same dimensions....it's just that your case may not be built to the greatest of tolerances.

While I'm using the Apple 5S case, my Elago Outfit, which was an absolute perfect fit on my iPhone 5 miraculously is also an exact perfect fit on my 5S..and that's an ultra slim rigid snap case...if there were any tolerance differences, they would be immediately noticeable on a case like that. Oh...my Photive bumper and Graft Leverage for iphone 5 both also fit exactly on my 5S, with no change in rigidity or fit.

Meanwhile the pixelskin is TPU, isn't it? A material that flexes a bit...don't you think the odds are much more likley that the case is a little off rather than the precision machined aluminum body of your phone?

12. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I guess it could be.

13. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Just ordered the black Apple case. I've seen way too many good reviews. I'll eat the $45 price (shipped). I just want a nice case.