Pixilation

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by NutFlush920, Nov 30, 2014.

1. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

I've got 4 external HDD's. When playing any m4v file off one of them, I get bad pixilation. Moves on the other 3 drives don't seem to be affected.

I've tried about 4 movies and immediately noticed the pixels. I tried the files on 2 Apple TV's, in iTunes and Quicktime. Same thing in all of them. I even tried copying the video file to a different hard drive and the problem followed.

Does this mean that the hard drive is shot? Why would the issue follow when copying to a different hard drive?

I've attached an example of what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

1 more example.

Attached Files:

3. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

If the problem follows when you move it to a different hard drive, I'd suspect there is something wrong with the file. What is the size of the file in relation to the others of similar length? If it's smaller it's probably lower quality. Also if you right click on the file and click "Get Info" and go the the more information drop down you can see the pixel dimensions of the file. Are they lower than the others?

5. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

All files were ripped from Blu-ray Disc and encoded via Handbrake by me. All are 1080P. What's interesting is the same files on my backup drive all play fine.

6. pmiles macrumors newbie

If the file is corrupted, it would remain corrupted no matter where you tried to access it from.

If the file works fine on one drive but not another, then the drive it doesn't work on may be on the fritz.

Now, if you can play a file on your backup drive just fine, then copy it to your suspect drive and it doesn't play well, then turn around and copy it back to your backup drive and it now no longer plays... it's definitely your suspect drive that is on the fritz.

Most important thing to note here is that it must be fine on some drive some where, otherwise you have no proof that the file is good. Don't assume that just because you ripped a movie that it ripped it well. It could have created the pixellation during the process. Basically you have to be 100% positive that the file did work and now it doesn't. And you have to also be 100% positive that the suspect drive has played these files before without issue. That is the only way you can say with any certainty that it is the drive.

If it is the drive. Salvage what you can if you have no other copies, otherwise, replace it.