Pixmania UK: a rant

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CortexRock, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I'm not going to tell people not to order from Pixmania.co.uk as I'm sure there are many out there who have had a positive experience with them. Instead, I'm just going to relay what has happened to me over the past few days, and let you all make your own judgments.

On 16 Sept I ordered a Vogel's VPW565 Video Projector Stand from www.pixmania.co.uk. It arrived on Thursday 20 Sept in a heat shrunk plastic bag (which would make returning the product in it's original packaging quite difficult, given that you have to destroy it to open the product). So far so good.

I get the product home and open the box, only to find that there are parts missing - I always check the parts list against the contents when buying a product like this.

So on the Friday evening after work, I thought I'll install the bits I can, and contact those nice people at Pixmania by phone to see about getting the missing parts sent to me. I tried phoning customer services initially, but they're only open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (it now being gone 6pm on a Friday).

I tried their website next, no sign of a customer service phone number (just sales!) or a direct e-mail address, just a silly form to fill in. Still, at least I found it in the end. I wrote and told them what the problem was, being very polite and concise - which was necessary seeing as they only give you 700 characters for your message!

This was the response I got:

How on earth can it be my responsibility to ensure that a product supplied by online order is complete? Maybe I'm being dumb, but I thought the seller of the product was responsible for that sort of thing. I can't return the product as I've already opened the box and started the installation, so I have to hope they'll be reasonable and send me the parts I need.

This morning (24 Sept) I phoned the only number prominently published on their website and selected option 2 from the voice menu (speak to a Customer Service representative about an order already placed, the other option being pre-sales enquiries). The chap who answers the phone is in sales. "I'm sorry, I was wanting to speak to customer services, can you transfer me?" No, comes the reply, sorry, you'll have to redial and choose option 2. "But I did, can't you transfer me?" No, you must have made a mistake. "Great, that's rubbish. Thank you so much for all your help." *CLICK*

So I filled in another form on their stupid website, and came here to vent. I will post updates if anyone is interested...

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Did the order come in one box or a lot of smaller orders?

I suppose if you got one big box that was packaged by the original manufacturer then they maybe just trying to sweep it under the carpet!

i think Pixmania are part of the Currys / Dixons lot so maybe if you can get a number for them then you may have more joy. Good luck!

3. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

It was one product in it's own box.

If I'd known they were part of Dixons Group I wouldn't have touched them with a bargepole. Damn. Had bad experiences with them in the past too.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hmmmm. Shame to hear another bad experience with them. If you search for the company on here you'll indeed find a very mixed bag of responses, but I do think they err towards the side of being a bit crap overall. Hope you get it sorted. :(

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i think your rant is unjustified.

you bought an item from pixmania. there were pieces missing. you are entitled to a refund or a replacement. they have offered both options. so i fail what your problem is.

you discovered prior to installation that there were pieces missing. you decided to go ahead and install those pieces you had in the unrealistic expectation that they keep boxes of spare parts for all the items they sell. you should not have begun installation but returned the package.

since you did not do the sensible thing, pixmania helpfully suggested that if you did not want to return the stand, you could contact the manufacturer to see if you could obtain the missing parts.

you say, "how on earth can it be my responsibility to ensure that a product supplied by online order is complete" but i can't see anything in the email you reproduce that suggests it is your responsibility.

in conclusion, return the items and you will receive a replacement or a refund.

6. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the support Sananda :rolleyes:

There is this concept called 'Customer Service' which it seems many companies are not so good at these days.

I ordered and paid for a product to be delivered to my home address, complete and ready to use. The company has failed to provide me with a product which meets these criteria. This is how the Sale of Goods Act works in the UK - company terms and conditions cannot override that law. The choice of whether I receive the parts I need, a full replacement or a full refund is mine.

If I were in Pixmania's shoes, I'd think - how can I make sure this currently unhappy customer is made happy? And then do everything possible to make this happen. The fault is with the manufacturer, but surely Pixmania have more responsibility to contact them and resolve the problem for future dealings, if not just for my specific case.

As it stands, I'll never buy another product from Pixmania, nor recommend them to anyone.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

So they offered you a replacement or a refund. They have done everything they are obligated to do.

You're rant is unjustified.

8. sananda macrumors 68020

i'm more than familiar with the sale of goods act. and they have offered you a replacement or a refund. they have complied with their contractual responsibilities.

you mention customer services, what is it that you think they have failed to do given they don't have the missing parts you need?

9. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

How hard is it for someone to go to the warehouse, pick out another example of the same product, pull out the three tiny missing pieces that would make my item complete, and pop them in a padded envelope?

They could then return the package they've opened from stock to the manufacturer and ask them to be more careful with their order fulfilment in future.

Failing that, why can't they arrange a courier pick up or at least to send a pre-paid mailer that I can return the product in?

My problem is not so much that they haven't fulfilled their contractual obligations, more that they have done it with such disdain for me as a customer.

All I'm asking for is a bit of goodwill.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I agree totally with the OP. The service he got his woeful!

How dare they JUST do as much as every other shop in the world would do!

How dare they not go out of their way and do more than every other shop would do!

I mean, i know every other shop would just offer a replacement or refund like he was offered and probably would not have the spare parts he needs but by god pixmania should!

Down with Pixmania! May they rot in hell!!111shift+1shift+1

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Or even, go to the warehouse and pull out another example of the exact same product and send the whole thing to you.

Oh wait, they've offered to do that...

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How and where, disdainful? They have offered a refund or an exchange. What is unreasonable about that?
    And for them to go to the warehouse and open a carton and send you the missing parts — well, that is just not the way lifeand business works.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

If you really feel so aggrieved by this you can give Trading Standards a ring.

14. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think that this concept would cause so much confusion for so many people.

I cannot return the product for a full replacement because it is already half-way installed. The parts that are missing are integral to the function of the product, but did not prevent me from putting the rest of the product together and mounting it on the wall.

I also take exception to the fact that somehow I've now become responsible for the (non-refundable) postage to return the product, even though the fault is theirs.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

But you knew there were parts missing before you started installing it and yet you carried on and started installing it.

That's what's confusing me

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, you knew before you installed it that part were missing. Did they force you to install with missing parts? No.

I understand your frustration, believe me, customer service in the UK stinks — but in this case I think your complaint is unjustified. :eek:

17. sananda macrumors 68020

1) you presuppose that there is warehouse which is accessible. who knows how these internet operations work. maybe there is no warehouse. maybe you order, they order from somewhere else, and it is sent direct to you from a third party.

2) even if they do as you suggest they would have to return two incomplete sets to the manufacturer who will no doubt only reimburse them the cost of one.

3) yes, they should cover the cost of returning the stand to them.

4) as a matter practicality, i think that one gets a higher standard of service from a local shop than from a solely internet based retailer. on the other hand, you'll pay more. not that i think you have received a low standard of service from pixmania.

18. sananda macrumors 68020

yes, you can return the product. you shouldn't have begun installation. but now that you have, you can take it apart again.

19. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I know, I've been a bit daft by doing that, but should it preclude me from getting the help I need?

For example: If you bought a new MacBook Pro from Apple's online store, and it came without a battery, would you expect to have to send the entire machine in the original packaging back to Apple, or would you expect them to just send you a battery?

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Difference is Apple sells batteries for the MacBooks.
    Will they send you a battery for a iPod touch? No.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd expect Apple may ask for the whole thing to be returned as something has gone wrong with their inventory system.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Imagine the rage and fury on the Macrumors forums if that would happen. :D

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Take it apart, put it back in the box and send it back. Ask them to arrange for a courier to collect it, you should not have to pay for the postage if the goods are faulty.

24. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. Thanks for your thoughts on this, people. I guess I'll just have to chalk this one down to experience and move on.

25. sananda macrumors 68020

apple sell batteries for macbook pros. it's not difficult for them to send you one. pixmania do not sell spare parts (as they said in their email to you). it's not a good analogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.