pkgbackup alternative

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Frenchjay, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

What alternatives are there to pkgbackup and what else do i need to do to save my current jailbreak state for when ios 5 comes out?

Thanks!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Aptbackup is close but nowhere near as good

Pkgbackup is super easy and works perfect totally recommend it

3. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Ok what does it mean to backup to address book? Will all the packages be stored onto the address book on the phone? Also it says to do a a sync with itunes. Is that safe to do that and how do i restore my device once i upgrade to the final ios 5 version?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Justs means it creates the backup and makes it a contact so you sync that address book to iTunes then on the clean device sync your contacts back so pkgbackup can find it when you want to restore everything from cydia

5. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Cool i just did that. So when the new ios 5 comes out i can set up as new phone, then jailbreak and restore my jailbreak state back onto the phone that way?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

correct you should see in your address book a contact something like Pkg_7384734343h

that essentially is your backup state so make sure you sync your phones address book to your computer through itunes, when iOS5 is jailbreakable you can set it up as new device as long as your sync that same address book as your contacts make sure you see the Pkg_8374837438738h in your address book, then jailbreak, install pkgbackup from cydia then you can restore

7. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda. But iOS 5 wont support half of jailbreak apps tweaks in current state. So it's useless . And it's always recommended to set up as new.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I would highly recommend using the Dropbox option with PkgBackup as opposed to the old "contact" version. Much easier to see and manage the backup files from the cloud. Dropbox is free and it seemlessly integrates with PkgBackup.

I've been using this combination successfully for several months now and highly recommend it.

Also, it is also a little trickier going to a major release with a backup (i.e. 4.3.3 to 5.x). Expect a lot of compatibility issues until the jailbreak community catches up with 5.0. Based on what I've seen, 5.0 may be a bit of a challenge when it comes to the jailbreak.

Good luck!

9. Frenchjay, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Thank you all for your help. I have also written down on paper all the packages i have currently in the event i have to reinstall them manually. I see the file in my contacts and i will set up a Dropbox account now and sync the backup to there.

I don't think i will ever go back to stock now after installing some of the things i have. :D Also will the Jailbreakme.com method through Safari be available for ios 5 or will we have to do it tethered?

Edit: so i have synced the backup to Dropbox. When i rejailbreak and install Pkgbackup can i select the backup from the Dropbox account directly from the phone?

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Go into PkgBackup and hit "view restore" which brings up another page. There you will see a listing of all the backups (time stamped) that you have on Dropbox. No need to leave the PkgBackup application for this. You don't even have to have Dropbox installed on your phone, just re-link your Dropbox account to PkgBackup after your re-jailbreak!

You can also "selectively" restore some things. An example of this is I sometimes just restore my springboard layout when iTunes messes up my layout (rare, but it happens). No more moving icons around manually! Just select all the springboard files from your backup and de-select the rest.

11. Frenchjay thread starter macrumors 68000

Frenchjay