PKGBackup didn't restore / backup ALL of my jailbroken apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spaceballl, Feb 5, 2011.

1. spaceballl, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just updated with greenpois0n to the newest 4.2.1. I bought PKGBackup yesterday to do a fresh backup before I did the upgrade. Well, I did that... but... when I restored, it brought most of my stuff like BiteSMS. However, it didn't get MyWi or SBSettings. Anyone else seen similar behavior?

UPDATE: Now it works! Read thread for more detail.

2. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I wish my experience with PkgBackup had been as GOOD as yours. The first two times I tried to restore using it, my phone locked up and then went into a boot loop. The only way to get it out of a boot loop was to drop it into recovery mode and restore. The third time I restored and ran Greenpois0n I decided to just manually install all of my jailbreak apps. I've never had any problems with PkgBackup in the past, but this time I'm really disappointed that I paid $8 for the software and it just kept throwing my iPhone into a perpetual bootloop.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm well I think I found the culprit. i think it's the scanner in PKGBackup. When I refresh to scan, I click to see which packages it has, and mywi / sbsettings aren't in there. So that would make sense that they didn't back up ore restore. Annoying that I paid like $8 for this app and it does not do what it should.

4. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Worked perfectly for me except mywi. No problems other than that.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So you had the mywi issue too... I mean if it backs up all your files, except some, i don't think you can call that perfect :D. Hopefully they fix it up so that my 4.3 upgrade is a bit smoother.

6. jetkins macrumors newbie

+1

I had the same problem with MyWi and SBSettings when upgrading my 3GS to 4.2.1 this week. Fortunately(?) MyWi is a paid application, so it appeared in the Installable Purchases list under Manage Account in Cydia, but I had to go a-Googling to find the name of SBSettings so I could reinstall it.

As already noted, both are conspicuously absent from the list of installed packages in PKGBackup - if they don't get backed up, they ain't getting restored!

7. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Found out after a few JB's its almost just easier to grab a pen and paper to write down the packages you have installed. My experience with pkgbackup has been spotty sometimes it does everything just fine other times it leaves out certain things. So instead of trying to hunt up and find out what little thing it left out that I want I just clean install everything each time. Might not save time but it does get your phone back to the way it was without any issues.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I never noticed this before but you are absolutely right. We should all ping the pkgbackup developer to make him aware of this problem. Mywi and sbsettings is definitely not being back up for me either. Neither is tetherme.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This is what I did. Whenever the dev decided to incorporate DropBox into the app, it completely ruined my phone causing me to restore. Since then, I just write down (in a spreadsheet though :D) all the goodies I have. The manage my account thing in Cydia works nice but I've noticed that there are apps that I paid for that don't show up in there as well as apps I've NEVER paid for, showing up in there as well. Not sure if some wires got crossed or what but nothing beats the old paper & pen....or keyboard.

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Grab the Cydia App called AppInfo. Great utility and you can email yourself a simple or detailed list of all your apps. Highly recommended!

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Hmm...I actually installed that app then deleted since I didn't think it was of use. I'll download it again. Thanks for the tip.

12. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It's funny that someone else has resorted to just writing down the apps. That's the same thing I did! PKGBackup crashes for me every time it tries to sync with dropbox. It has never worked perfectly for me, and I have no idea how to get a refund.

13. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Nice. I use PKGbackup but always wrote down or screenshotted all my cydia apps as a failsafe. This should definitely make it easier.

14. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

I've used PKGBackup countless times and it's worked every time. You have to mke sure that all the packages are selected before performing th backup.

15. sumsh macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue. Pkgbackup works great except for sbsettings and mywi.

16. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I contacted the developer. Turns out the dropbox implementation uses a lot of memory. He recommended that I quit all background applications and try again. So I quit every single background application and restarted the phone. Worked like a charm. So that seems to be the dropbox solution.

17. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I bought PkgBackup and have successfully used it several times in the past...Don't need it these days as I run very light on tweaks and JB apps.

18. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, today I upgraded to 4.3.1 and re-jailbroke. That went fine. And as I was fearing, the restore did not. It got about half of my packages and about half of the settings, but my Cydia repos seem botched now. So... I think i'm done w/ PKGBackup. I'll just write down the app names from now on.

19. fasttimes macrumors newbie

I just replaced my 4 today and bought PKGBackup after I spent time setting my phone up.

Afterwards I noticed my 3G wasn't working, so I did a factory reset and noticed it was still f*cked, so I will have to go back to the store tommorow. I decided to play around with the restore and noticed that you have to make sure to hit the refresh button before every operation, but the restore DID get all my Cydia stuff back.

This is the process I used to restore.

Updated phone to 4.3.1
    Jailbreak
    Installed PKGBackup -- connect to dropbox
    Refresh PKGBackup
    select everything in PKGBackup and restore. Reboot, respring
    Restore from backup in iTunes

I had all of my JB'ed apps restored with settings and desktop the way I left everything.

20. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi All,

I have been holding off on upgrading to 4.3.3 for a while. After all the issues I had last time, I figured it wasn't worth it. However, there have been quite a few PKGBackup updates in the past couple weeks. I saw there were lots of bug fixes so I figured maybe now it would work. I decided to take the plunge.
    - I did a full backup to dropbox without any issues
    - I updated to stock 4.3.3 without any issues.
    - I jailbroke without any issues
    - I think did a full restore of everything from dropbox without any issues

Now my phone is completely back to how i left it! PKGBackup actually works now - woot!

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Glad it worked for you as designed (finally!). I think PkgBackup has come a long way and the 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 upgrade was the first one that was "seemless" in execution, even to the extent that my springboard files put all apps back where they were (even in folders) before the restore. I saved a couple of hours of moving icons around this time!

The dev is very responsive. I've been working with him on trying to figure out how to get the App Store application data backup to work (new feature in 4.3.5). That's the last piece and it's a little tricky. For those of us Angry Birds geeks, we'd love to restore as new and maintain our high scores/achievements. Fortunately there is a workaround for this if you have a backup of the data, but we'd prefer PkgBackup did it for us as part of the restore.