Pkgbackup Problem with restore

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scottuf, Apr 1, 2011.

1. scottuf macrumors 6502

Trying to fix what appears now to be a hardware problem with my iPhone 4, I decided last night to restore 4.2.1. Not wanting to go thru the hassle of restoring all of my JB apps and settings manually, like I've always done, I decided to bite the bullet and bought Pkgbackup. Backup to Dropbox was much quicker than I expected :)

Anyways, the way I did my restore, I installed 4.2.1 and JB with GP. Then synced to iTunes, setup from backup (rather than as new). I let it sync my contacts, cal, email, and apps, then stopped it when it started syncing my music. Then installed Pkgbackup from Cydia. Went in and selected everything except the iphone ios files it de-selected, and let it restore. Went really well. Except that my prefs and Springboard layouts were still screwed up. Restored prefs and SB again. No luck. SSH'd in and noticed that all of those files restored by Pkgbackup were showing as Root:Mobile rather than Mobile:Mobile. A quick chown and a respring and all was good again.

Is there a bug that caused it to restore with the wrong ownership permissions, or did something just go wacky this time?

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

Can you explain this a little further? I had the exact same issue as you (pref and SB layout) but didn't know what to do so I redid everything (sucked). How exactly did you fix it?

3. scottuf thread starter macrumors 6502

SSH in to \User\Library

do "ls -la" (no quotes) and it will show owner and permissions. Should all be mobile:mobile (some SSH clients will show it as 501 instead of mobile, root is 0). If not, you'll need to type this:

chown mobile:mobile -R "foldername"

where "foldername" is the folder you want to fix.

So in my case the Preferences folder was jacked, I typed

chown mobile:mobile -R Preferences

Alternatively you can type chown mobile:mobile -R \User\Library\Preferences but since I was already in the Library folder I didn't need to.

Also, sometimes permissions will be messed up. I've found a simple chmod 0755 -R "foldername" or chmod 0755 "filename" can also fix things up.

The folder that the icon layouts are in is "SpringBoard".

Also capitalization needs to be correct or you'll get a file not found error.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Must be a bug.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

I really appreciate the explanation! I don't really understand it though :eek: I do know how to set permissions to 0755 with iFile though?

5. scottuf thread starter macrumors 6502

very simialr to permissions but it is the ownership. You can do the change in iFile too, just not sure if itll do a whole folder at once since I never tried that.

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure it will. I navigated to it in iFile just now.

Thanks man!