PkgBackup Problems after Restoring

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pikafumanchu, Dec 29, 2011.

1. pikafumanchu macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I finally updated my jailbreak, but now I'm having some pretty intense issues. I've had to go through the entire process three times now, because each time I use PkgBackup to restore and then Respring, my phone gets frozen on the Apple Logo startup screen.

And I mean FROZEN. I went to bed with it like that and woke up with it still like that. Any thoughts?

I'm on an iPhone 4, running iOS 5.0.1, jailbroke using Redsn0w. Didn't do custom ipsw since I don't care about preserving the baseband or anything.

Thanks.

2. Kayan macrumors 6502

Anytime that I have intense issues like what you are having, I simply backup my phone, save my backup in a separate folder than where iTunes saves it so no override can take place, and then I restore to blank FW, then re-JB with the latest Redsn0w. I would highly recommend re-downloading the latest release of Redsn0w, they have already released 2 more versions since yesterday, because these versions are intended to fix errors similar to what you are experiencing if it is the cause of the JB software. Good luck.

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It may not apply here, but I've found that when I'm upgrading to a new OS "major release" (3.0 to 4.0, 4.0 to 5.0) it can be problematic to let a package upgrade all your jb apps at once. I'm a big supporter of PkgBackup and continue to beta test with the dev (Jibril) and even I start with a clean jailbreak and re-add my tweaks and apps one at a time.

Not saying it shouldn't work...I just take a more conservative approach (including a one week wait after jailbreak release). I'll be back in the states on Tuesday and upgrading to 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and jailbreaking. Can't wait!

4. pikafumanchu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I decided that it definitely makes more sense to do the re-add tweaks and apps one at a time approach. I also stupidly forgot to backup my phone before I did it, so I lost two months' worth of data... which is fine since I don't use it for photos too often.

Moral of the story: don't be stupid, stupid. ("stupid" being me)

5. philip in al macrumors regular

I had the same problem with pkg backup. Trying the restore after the new JB would freeze the phone with the Apple logo until the battery ran all the way down.

I would restore the phone, reload the stock apps from an iTunes backup, rejailbreak and the try Pkg Backup again. Each time, choosing to restore less and less (but still getting the freeze). I finally gave up on the Pkg Backup restore and decided to just add back apps as new.

One problem could be that my restore contained 172 3rd party apps.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This ^^

Doing a mass restore of Cydia apps and hacks creates an unsolvable situation since "some" of them are not going to be compatible with the new firmware level and will throw you into safe mode.
    Much easier in the long run to re-install them one at a time so can you single out the offending package(s).

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

i agree with dhlizard.

When satying on the same firmware Pkgbackup is a good tool if you need to restore but stay on the same firmware.

When upgrading to a new firmware, especially 1 that is so different like 5.0/5.01 from the previous firmwares changes are pretty high that 1 or more pakcages are not yet compatible with the new firmware.

1 by 1 installation of your favorite apps is than the best option, takes some time, but in the long run saves you time