pkgbackup updated today

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brokin, Dec 15, 2010.

1. brokin macrumors member

i download the new pkgbackup from cydia today since it now has the ability to link to your dropbox account. when i set it up in the app it just sits there saying "scanning all packages". has anyone got the new pkgbackup to work?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Works great here, kill the app and restart it perhaps?

3. matthew23 macrumors regular

Same for me. Now Cydia crashes too when I go to my packages and try and scroll down....

4. brokin thread starter macrumors member

ive deleted it and reinstalled it. same thing happens scanning all packages please wait... and it just sits there. i only have like 30 packages installed.

5. brokin thread starter macrumors member

ive read this version of cydia: Cydia v1.0.3366-1.deb has crashing issues when scolling though apps. there is an unofficial new version out there that fixes the issues

6. brokin thread starter macrumors member

sorry for all the posts.

when i switch back to the address book method it works just fine so its an issue with dropbox.

7. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Hate it.

Doesn't let you use address book sync if you have activesync enabled which pretty much defeats the purpose. Forces you to use dropbox yet the dropbox sync doesn't work. I want my old pkgbackup back.

8. matthew23 macrumors regular

Oh, I never noticed and assumed it related to this program. Anyone know where I can get the ltest unofficial version of Cydia?

9. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Unofficial new version, rite.............

10. mgrantz macrumors newbie

11. bern43 macrumors member

I believe the developer is aware of the issues with this update and another update is coming soon.

12. brokin thread starter macrumors member

its true. i had the same issue (scrolling through packages it would crash). installed unofficial newer build: 1.0.3366.7 and it works great without issues.

13. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

An update was deployed in Cydia just now, fixes the dropbox and Never ending package scanning.

And for the love of everything that's holy - stay well clear of noob hacked versions of Cydia!

14. monderick, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

monderick macrumors member

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Just updated as well figuring it was safe :rolleyes:

This thing works perfectly for me. Took about 5-10 seconds from start to finish. Didn't configure Dropbox yet but seems like it's working fine for me.

And I'm also using the genuine release of Cydia, not the Philippines/hacked version floating out there.

16. Foxnolds macrumors newbie

OK I had to
    rm -rf /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.pragmatixconsulting.packagebackup.plist

then Reloaded PKGBackup from Cydia, Power Off iPhone then Power-on and wait 6 minutes for reboot.

By default it scanned my packages successfully with default Contacts destination. Fails Backup to Contacts with ActiveSync message.
    Enabled DropBox account.
    This time Package scan succeeded in a few seconds.
    Backup to DropBox successful - Yeh! :)

17. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

That is so funny. I had to do the same thing but I did not reboot. At $5, I thought that its a fair price but now its $7 something. Seems a bit high. The only way that you can assign a price to this app is when you upgrade and have to re-jailbreak or if you screw something up and have to wipe the phone and then jailbreak again. Then this app becomes indispensable. and a HUGE time-saver.

18. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Well yeah..thats the point.

It's pretty much a 1-click restore.. If he just included FolderEnhancer support instead of Categories...

[ps] I got it for $5, I agree $7 might be a little too steep

19. jacobp macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with the "new" PkgBackup. I am a real newbie, so I don't quite understand what you did to get this to work. Can you explain the first step a bit more. That is, what did you run on your iphone to be able to type in the "rm" command.

20. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

http://cydia.saurik.com/package/mobileterminal but beware, if there are several versions in Cydia make sure you pick the one which fits your fw version

21. jacobp macrumors member

22. Foxnolds macrumors newbie

MobileTerminal is just crashing for me on iPhone 4 JB OS 4.1.
    I tried reloading MobileTerminal but I had no luck, so I used SSH from Windows
    using PUTTY.
    Also, from Windows, I could cut and paste the command from the forums into PUTTY to save all that typing.

I hope that helps.
    As stated earlier, PKGBackup is ideal for restoring my current count of 65 JB apps after upgrading OS.

I'll use it again to goto 4.2.1 when an untethered JB is released.

Note, I have 97 Universal Apps plus 310 iPhone apps. Using Categories with my own Category Icons, I only have 6 tidy Screens of apps to scroll through, with all screens limited to 12 Apps/Icons per screen to leave bottom row free for swiping. This is much more workable solution for over 400 Apps on an iPhone than Apples limited / Ugly Grouping option introduced in iOS 4+.