PkgBackup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 1wildcat1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 1wildcat1 macrumors member

Today, I bought pkgbackup from Cydia and have a few questions

So after I backup, all I need to do is Sync with iTunes?

After that, I'm free to restore to a newer iOS firmware and just restore all my data again from PkgBackuP?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

i believe it adds the data to your address book. I have mobileme syncing, so it's done automatically. you can also backup to dropbox as a fail-safe option. Make sure you backup.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Pkgbackup creates a contact in Contacts that has all the info for what apps you have added. Once you sync, this contact is added to Address Book.

4. 1wildcat1 thread starter macrumors member

Does this include app store apps? or only cydia?

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

While this is true in some cases, if you use a service like MobileMe or Google exchange you have to backup to Dropbox - it won't allow you to backup to a contact on your phone.

OP - how are your contacts synced/stored on your phone? And it is just for Cydia apps...AppStore apps are not included.

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Both.

7. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

My option for appstore backups is always greyed out?

8. iFiend, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

Wrong. Please do not post info when you do not know the answer.

You 100% cannot use PKGbackup to backup your appstore apps. If the OP followed your advice he could lose all of his game save data and such. That would suck.

OP (and anyone else) - depending on what firmware you're on (because it doesn't work on the latest) I suggest AppBackup (note: not AptBackup) to backup your appstore apps. Please read about how to SSH in and save the tarballs that AppBackup creates.

There is no option for AppStore backup in PKGBackup, at all.

Where do you people get your info? We have a lot of impressionable n00bs (I use that as a term of endearment :)) that don't know any better and come here for help. If you are not 100% certain you know the answer to something please wait for someone to answer that does.

/rant

9. kashura7 macrumors member

kashura7

So, If i back up my jailbroken iDevice through iTunes and then restore it to stock, I won't be able to restore all of my AppStore apps even though I backed them up? Therefor the proper way to back up a jailbroken phone would be using software for JB things and then a separate one for AppStore stuff?

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

App Store apps are synced. All you need to do is right click on the iPhone in iTunes and select Transfer Purchases.

11. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

So what is the appstore option for below?
    [​IMG]

12. kashura7 macrumors member

kashura7

Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Thank you

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

Interesting. I know when to take my medicine :eek: Was there an update recently? I haven't had PKGbackup installed for awhile since I'm jailbroken on iOS 5 (it doesn't work).

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Glad I hesitated on doing the same rant! :) Since I don't have the latest update, I wondered WTF they were talking about. Oh well, looks like it doesn't always work and it's just as easy to use Transfer Purchases.

15. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

With the caveat that I'm not using this feature yet:

In PkgBackup, click on the Settings button (gear, upper left). Select "Scan applications on startup" and hit the Accept Changes button. Your apps will now be scanned and available for backup, along with your packages.

I think this setup requires that you use Dropbox, not Contacts, to store your backup data. For me, I cloud backup most data already, and iTunes handles the rest, so I'm not sure what use that function would be.

16. iFiend macrumors 65816

I think the feature, much like using AppBackup, is for when you want to save game data and things that would really suck to lose so that when you upgrade/re-jailbreak on a new firmware you can set up your phone as new. I always do and never have any of the problems that plague others. Highly recommend it!!

17. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

How silly do i feel i never even checked the options, lol! Well thanks for the information i'm going to test it now and see how well it works