pkgbackup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kiddk1, Jun 26, 2015.

1. kiddk1 macrumors regular

before I lost my jailbreak, I backed up everything with pkgbackup $9.99 app
    after successfully jailbreaking this morning, I used this app to try and restore only to have my phone go into a boot loop. I had to DFU and restore. Any ideas as to why this didnt work?

Thank you

2. Chukwe macrumors regular

Because most of the Cydia Apps you are trying to restore are not compactible with iOS 8.3

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The little known dirty secret about PKGBackup too is that, despite what you backed up and how (list or deb file) PKGBackup will go out to Cydia and get the NEWEST version of the tweak you backed up.

That, as you've seen has complications.

4. calvothagreat macrumors newbie

calvothagreat

What do you recommend to back up apps? Or do i just have to write them down? :(

5. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies
    Yes complicated
    Had I known I would've never purchased

6. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Appinfo. You can export a list of all sources and tweaks to email, that way you can add them later.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, the dev does not do a good job of pointing out these things on his linked web pages.

I bought PKGBackup a few years ago based on some wording that seemed to indicate that it was an "automatic" backup that could be scheduled with the Calendar app. I thought, oh cool, an iCloud backup type thing for Cydia tweaks/apps.

No. What the dev really meant was that you could use the app to create a schedule in Calendar that reminded you to open the app and back up every day. Since you can set the app to start an auto backup on opening this is what he meant by "automatic".

It's only later when trying to restore tweaks backed up in iOS 6 to my iOS 7 device that I found out that the app only backed up the latest version of tweaks/apps and not what was actually installed.

I still use the app because it's still somewhat useful for things, but if I was looking for a brand new option to backup I wouldn't purchase it knowing what I know now.

8. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

lots of useful information thank you so much

9. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

I've really come to...I guess dread is too strong of a word. I just throw my hands up when it comes to pkgbackup. I paid for this years ago, and I'd say I've had a 50% success rate at best with it. I'm about to go from 8.1 to 8.3 and pkgbackup just sits there at scanning forever until I stop it.

I'll just rely on my backup method. Take screenshots of all my screen pages and screenshots of my "installed" list in cydia and refer to that after the restore. (after making sure the photos made it up to the cloud first ;))

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you install Applist, you can email yourself a list of all your tweaks/apps installed.

11. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

applist is already installed on mine but I cannot see/access it, it shows up in cydia installed but thats it

Edit:
    I think you meant appinfo, just installed and it emails me a list

12. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

I used PKGbackup yesterday and it worked like a charm, no issues whatsoever unlike the TaiG JB which took ages.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's an actual app. It should appear on your springboard. If it does not, did you jailbreak with Taig 2.0.0?

14. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i have it installed, yet i dont see applist on my springboard?

15. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

I don't know what applist is, but Appinfo will create an icon on your springboard and does what you want. Used it for years and it works great.