PKGBackup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hlkc, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hlkc macrumors regular

Can someone let me know about how the PKGBackup works?

After I Backup all the packages, where did they store in the iPhone?

How can I store another back up not in iPhone in case I need to back up later?

It seems to me somehow we use VCF address card to back up???

Not sure how this whole thing works. Please advice. Thanks!

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

It saves your jailbroken apps as contacts and then redownloads them from Cydia when you relaunch it.

3. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your idea.

If I may, after purchase I'll run a full back up, right? The VCF file is the source of the back up, right? With the back up VCF file if I get in trouble later, I'll use that as a back up and restore using the app. Am I right ? Thanks

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Why are you worrying about the innards of the process? Just download the app from Cydia, run the app to backup Cydia apps, then back up in iTunes. Stop asking about the VCF file because it doesn't matter.

5. macattack87 macrumors member

why would you go out of your way to discourage someone from trying to figure out how something works?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just make sure you back up your contacts in iTunes, then the package backup file can be synced back to the phone.

You can also e-mail the contact to yourself right out of the iPhone.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Does PKGbackup also back up your settings for each app, like the way you have them set up, or just the app itself?

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nope, no settings.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

cool thanks.

10. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

Since no trial provide, I like to make sure how it works first. Based on the description they have there, I'm sorry I'm unclear how the process work.

I know I need to run the backup but after the backup where is the saved backup? The reason I keep asking is what if my iPhone gone or to a point that I need to restore everything. Before that case, now I can save the backup outside iPhone first as another back up copy. Maybe my logic is incorrect here, if so please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, it's always good practice understand what and how what your are installing does.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I already love PKGBackup and think it is well worth the few dollars I spent on it.

Last night I upgraded to LockInfo v2.3.4.12 and did a respring. My iPhone would go into Safe Mode not matter what I did. The error was that for some reason Mobile Substrate "saved" my iPhone from some problem. The first thing I did was reinstall LockInfo. That didn't help so I deleted it. The problem persisted. I kept deleting software that used Mobile Substrate and that got me no where.

I thought I was going to have to restore my phone which with the 4.0.2 update just out was not going to be fun.

So I deleted Mobile Substrate and that took a bunch of software with it. That fixed the problem. My icons were all messed up because Five Icon Dock and Infinifolders where removed. Fixing that was going to take some time.

But now I wasn't sure what I needed to reinstall. Well, all I had to do was run PKGBackup and the "Restore" option knew what wasn't installed anymore. All I had to do was tap "Restore" and in a few minutes my iPhone was back the way it was. All the folders, files, and dock where back the way they where before the problem happened. I was and am very happy.

PKGBackup cost me $4.99 but it has proven itself worth at least twice that!

S-

13. meagain macrumors 68030

14. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

It's better and cleaner.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

AptBackup made it so my iPhone would not boot and I had to do a complete Restore.

Stay away from it!!

S-

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I also used Aptbackup one time. I also had to do an immediate restore. Stay clear of it.

17. meagain macrumors 68030

Wow. I've had this for a while. Never seemed to work for me right. I'm going to nuke it. Thanks guys!

18. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

the app is ok, but honestly i prefer backing up my themes folder manually. with pkgbackup, it does not back up all the themes you got outside of cydia, and i dont believe it deletes winterboard themes you have deleted via ssh, if they are part of some larger downloaded theme. its better to have pkgbackup than not, but there are better solutions methinks.

sborganizer is awesome though.

19. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

What is that thing that on the lower half that says "Back up as of *date* then it says ZERO out of 40 packages? I backed up the thing by hitting the backup button in the middle but what is this 0 out of 40 on the bottom mean as opposed to 40/40 on the top?

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That is the restore engine. You can restore all or choose individually what to restore.

21. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I don't think that answered my question. Why does that say 0/40?

I noticed it didn't back up AppSync 4.0, nor is it on the list.

22. hlkc thread starter macrumors regular

You choose 0 out of 40 to restore.

23. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Because it hasn't been asked to restore any apps, so zero of 40 apps have been restored.

If you utilize restore, it will say 40/40 (restored)

24. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Understood. I noticed not all my Cydia things are backed up, such as AppSync 4.0 and I don't see the "Expert" Cydia extensions on the list like "APT 0.6 Trans.." and "diskdev-cmds". I have hidden apps set to On