Pl advice on dead iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cem-sg, Nov 2, 2011.

1. cem-sg macrumors newbie

Hi,
    a week ago my iMac early 2008 died- actually the gpu was the weak part. I live in Singapore and they quoted me a repair of ard 1000 USD which I have decided is not worth it. So I have decided to go for a new iMac, the lowest end of the iMAcs (still have to place the order :apple::apple:

I'm planning to tear down my current one and sell the parts and check the data on my HD.

I would appreciate your view on tearing and selling parts, I saw on ebay LCDs, glas screens, etc. but I don't know if there would be really a need ?

Thanks

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

Wow that's a lot to replace just the graphics! Well if the computer's rendered useless, I don't see why parting it out would be a bad idea.

People definitely buy spare iMac displays, glass, housing, superdrives...

But you might not get as many prospective buyers being in Singapore (shipping costs).

3. cem-sg thread starter macrumors newbie

thx dnix for your view

just noticed I made a fatal error in converting :eek: , it's actually somewhere around 650 USD which is still 60% of a new one but which would be like 3-4 times more performant :confused:

4. andydckent macrumors member

8800gs 512mb graphics card that failed per chance?

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A gpu replacement in such a machine should never cost that much. One more thing to make me never want to buy an imac :rolleyes:.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Aren't the GPU's on the logic board? They used to be mobiles soldered to the mobo. You are paying for a new logic board. Apple does not re-solder GPU's. They replace the whole thing.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^If it's 8800GS, it's MXM, not soldered. Available for much less than $650, here for instance.

8. cem-sg thread starter macrumors newbie

All,
    yes it is a 8800gs :(
    I'd told them that this is a known problem but got told that it is "not known" to Apple, possibly the percentage still seems to be below six sigma rate ;)

I understood (but still not sure) that it can be changed and I had looked out for ATIs and Nvidias but even they are old they still cost a bomb.

So yesterday ordered my imac 21.5 for 1370 USD (in Singapore they are a bit cheaper plus a bit corporate discount).

thekev,
    I was super p....d when they told me the quote and I have like 3 Iphones and both Gen iPads, ok with the price politics for new stuff but for repair of "old" stuff ???
    First time I considered a hackintosh....but tomorrow I expect again an iMac :D

9. adrianloh macrumors newbie

hi cem-sg, by chance you still stripping your dead imac and selling the parts? :)