Pla on getting a 21' iMac but need advice on what specs to get for web development.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ecuanaso, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ecuanaso, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

ecuanaso macrumors newbie

I'm doing some web develpment. I usually have up the command line, sublime text2 , xcode, email client, mamp, adobe illustrator and google chrome.
    What specs should I get in iMac I should get?

Oh and i'm trying to keep it below 2,000 dollars

I need the size to have to fit more screens at a time...
    i like having sublime up and chrome up. I would like to see them side by side with no problem.

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

21 foot iMac is huge! It probably won't fit on your desk :D.

I just wanted to tell you to get the upgraded ram and an ssd. Especially if you are running virtual machines... It's non-trivial to add these after the fact.

I also suggest you checkout the refurb section of the Apple Store, you'll get the most bang for your buck and a full warranty.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any quad core i5 iMac with an SSD will do you fine.

Try refurbs. They're damn good.

4. ecuanaso thread starter macrumors newbie

I need the screen size because I like having sublime text 2 up and google chrome up at the same time. I need more realestate to see what I'm doing and toggle back and forth.
    I would like to buy it from the apple store. Do they sell refurbs at local apple stores?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then you'll probably need a 27" more.

Chrome really sucks on OS X.

Get a 27" with an SSD from anywhere.

6. ecuanaso thread starter macrumors newbie

Web dev world chrome is all that's used.

I hear what you're saying about the 27 inch but I would like to have the ability to take it places. The 21.5 seems like it can be more portable.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then just get the baseline 15" rMBP for portability.

A desktop isn't meant to be taken around.

8. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Refurbs are online only...

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

The 27" iMac is a great machine for web development. We use them almost exclusively at work (a digital design/strategy agency), with the exception of some PCs.

The latest Safari is faster than Chrome, and offers very similar developer tools. I personally use it, after using Chrome exclusively for several years.

Do NOT buy your iMac from a local Apple store because it will come with a slow spinning hard drive from the late-90s. Buy it from the online store, and customise the hard drive option to an SSD. Please, please do not buy a spinning hard drive in 2015. The bottleneck is huge. If you really cannot afford the SSD, compromise with a Fusion drive, but nothing less.

Also, on the 27" you can easily install more RAM from third-parties without voiding any warranties, or even the need for a screwdriver. On the 21", you're stuck with what you get.

The base 27" iMac with a 256GB SSD is $1,999. That's your best option for your budget. Use Thunderbolt external storage if you really need it. If you really need the onboard storage, you can switch for a 1TB Fusion drive at no extra cost. The 1GB GPU would make me a bit nervous about longevity, though. You could always get the next 27" model with a 2GB GPU and 256GB SSD for $2,199 and just go easy on spending elsewhere for a couple of months...

----------

This is a good point.