Place Download file onto dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Feb 3, 2009.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

New to Safari. I originally moved the download file off of Dock, but now would like to put back. I found it in Finder and was able to place it on the desktop, but am unable to put it on the Dock.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Drag it back to the dock, but it has to go on the right hand side of the dividing line.

3. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Now it shows the documents and will stack, but how do I show a folder that then opens in a window?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Right click on it, select display as folder

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That just makes it show up as a folder icon, it still acts as a stack.

6. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!!! I'm on a lot of internet boards and you guys are the best. I always get a comprehensive answer in minutes!!!!!!

7. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, something isn't set correctly

-I have the download folder in the dock

-When I download a file it goes into the download folder in Finder instead of the download folder in the Dock

-At minimum I would like it to go to that file on the Dock and preferably open automatically.

I have messed with all the settings on the download folder, Finder and Safari and can't find the right combo

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Drag the Download folder from Finder to the Dock.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok so you dragged the Downloads folder with the arrow icon on it enclosed with your downloads from your home folder to your Desktop right?

if so trash the Downloads folder in your home folder with the generic folder icon and drag back your original Downloads folder from your desktop to your home folder. then drag the Downloads folder to the Dock to create a Stack. Apple applications download files by default to the Downloads folder in your home folder. if there isnt one there it creates one. you can choose where Safari downloads file to in its Preferences and whether or not to automatically open files once downloaded.

Stacks will by default display the file's icons in a fan and then a grid once there are over a certain amount of files. this is the "Automatic" setting. you can set it to always display as a fan, grid or a list if you want and even just display the folder icon instead of file icons by right clicking on the Stack.

to have it open as a folder instead of a Stack you need make an Alias of the Downloads folder (right click and choose "Make Alias") and then drag it to the Dock. this uses the document/single file feature of the Dock instead of a Stack. make sure you dont move the original Alias when its placed in the Dock. but you then wont get the 'jumping stack' animation when you download a file.

its actually a lot simpler than it seems. except for the last part which is kind of a work around which even Apple has used in their presentation demos.

10. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Got it to work. The only thing it's not doing now is opening a file automatically. I went to Safari preferences and checked the "open automatically" box but it still won't open automatically after downloading. I have to manually go into the folder on the Dock and open it.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what are you trying to open? it will only open "safe" files which it lists in the preferences.

12. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Word files that were attached to an email

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hmm i dont think word files would. but i think pdf, txt, pages etc., mp3 etc will.

i just leave it off as a security precaution.