Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I recently started doing sports photography, mainly horse racing. I would like to know if you guys know a good site where I could sell these pictures? Recommendations highly appreciated :)

Thanks

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Local photo club shows/exhibits, have a booth at craft fairs, get your work accepted for sale at local galleries...etc., get published in photo magazines The local feedback and acceptance will let you know if your work will likely have a wider audience.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I know nothing about horse racing, so my response is fairly general:

You have a product and are searching for people to buy it. Your best bet is to place that product in front of the people with the greatest likelihood of buying.

So... key questions to ask yourself are:
  • What exactly is your product? Are you creating an artistic scene or capturing a moment in time or something else?
  • Who wants to buy your product and why would they want to buy it?
  • Is your product something that's an impulse buy or a considered purchase?
  • Where do the people who would buy your product shop? i.e how will you put it in front of them?

Another item to think through: will you need model and property releases? Not that important if the horses and/or riders are unrecognizeable, your sales are "journalism", you're selling to the riders/owners themselves, and/or your market visibility remains minimal. Still better to ensure you have a full understanding of the in's and out's of the matter and then make an educated assessment of what you need to do on this matter.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Another item to think through: will you need model and property releases? Not that important if the horses and/or riders are unrecognizeable, your sales are "journalism", you're selling to the riders/owners themselves, and/or your market visibility remains minimal. Still better to ensure you have a full understanding of the in's and out's of the matter and then make an educated assessment of what you need to do on this matter.

^^ This and if your shooting on private property (which i imagine most race courses are you might also need permission of the land owner/event organiser)

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I know nothing about horse racing, so my response is fairly general:

You have a product and are searching for people to buy it. Your best bet is to place that product in front of the people with the greatest likelihood of buying.

So... key questions to ask yourself are:
  • What exactly is your product? Are you creating an artistic scene or capturing a moment in time or something else?
  • Who wants to buy your product and why would they want to buy it?
  • Is your product something that's an impulse buy or a considered purchase?
  • Where do the people who would buy your product shop? i.e how will you put it in front of them?

I have an accreditation and I retain full rights of my pictures even if the photos has jockeys/horses/owners. Certain owners/jockeys are already purchasing from me but I'd like to make them available worldwide to sports lovers

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I wish you the very best in your endeavor and hope you need help making deposits with your bank.
But...you might find, like many others of us have found, that unless one of the following three things happen you might not enjoy the great success you deserve.
1. Every semi-pro photographer, and that means anyone and everyone who has a cell phone, suddenly forgets how to click the button.
2. All those semi-pros suddenly realize that what they so frequently hold up to their ear is actually a phone and not a high-end digital camera capable of producing a masterpiece sometimes with even the most inexperienced user, and that no matter how much they squint and twist that photo from the phone will never deserve to hang on a wall anywhere...ever.
3. The folks who are lucky enough to run across your photos have a connection with that photo that is so strong that it will overcome the primitive and often overpowering desire to keep their money in their own pocket and they will actually buy your photo. When you find out how to create the connection that will motivate your buyer, your work here will be done and you can retire with the money I'll pay you for the secret.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.