Placement for Google Adsense (or similar)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Gator24765, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Okay, so I have been learning css over the last few day. Before I start officially designing my site in dreamweaver I have been drafting some ideas. My site is gonna be fairly simple, Just a two column site. My main goal is to get revenue through advertising (adsense etc). So here is my question, I have never designed a site where ads are going to be put in.. First of all, where would be a good place (most effective) to puts advertising in my general layout attached. Second, how does google adsense work? Like, do I just leave a blank area and they will provide me with the coding to put in there?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jo0 macrumors regular

Adsense, along with most other online advertising companies will give you a JS snippet that is linked to the ad size that you create in your ad manager. You simply drop it in wherever you like, usually in to a div container so you can place it where you need it.

As far as placement goes, you need to think about which revenue model is going to benefit you the most while you are starting out. If you are seeing a few thousand visitors a day with good pageviews, place the ad anywhere and let CPM bring the revenue. If you are working with a more aware advertiser they will want your ads above the fold, but google is a robot and doesn't care.

If you are going to be slowly growing traffic, CPM isn't going to do you any good because you just won't have the volume for it. In that case plan for CPC income, where you get a certain amount per user action on the ad. This is where you should think strategic placement and place ads where your site will be getting the most click action (near next page buttons for example.)

Hope this helps, I run a number of ad rev campaigns through various venues so if you have any more questions, just ask.

J