Placement of my Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Indy Golfer, May 6, 2011.

1. Indy Golfer macrumors newbie

As of right now my Time Capsule is sitting on my desk in my office. A friend of mine had his house broken into and had everything stolen, it made me start thinking about protecting my data. I am thinking about running cable and power to my closet and putting my Time Capsule in there. The closet is in the middle of a small house (1600 sq ft ranch), think I will have any signal issues? See any downside to doing this?

Thanks!

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Unless your closet is made of bricks I doubt you'll have any problems. Even then it would probably be ok. Either way, you'll know right away.

3. Indy Golfer thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured as much, just wanted to make sure before I spend time running cable and power to the closet.

Off topic, has anyone compared wireless connection speeds vs connection speeds with the computer plugged into the Time Capsule?

Thanks again

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Protecting your data is smart. However, until you automatically, and continuously move your data off-site, you will always have an issue. I strongly recommend that you subscribe to one of the offsite data backup services. I have used Mozy and Crashplan+ each for two years and have been happy with both. Since Mozy changed away from "unlimited", I would recommend CP+. I consider CP+ to be my primary backup... and I also backup all of my Macs to TC's as a secondary backup mostly used for quick restores.

/Jim