places in iPhoto 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, May 17, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

hi,

I haven't received iLife 09 yet, but I was wondering if one EVENT can have multiple PLACES in iPhoto, eg. a holiday in France with photos taken all over the country.

cheers.

2. Emmadw macrumors newbie

I have a related question - can I have events within events, or would have to have an Event (e.g. the aforementioned holiday in France) as an event & then use Places/keywords to divide up the different bits of the same trip?

Also, with places, can it sort out all "france" locations ... even if they're in different events ... e.g. with the case above, find all the locations in France in any event??

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you can't have events within events

yep.. you can see all photo's by place even if they span multiple events

4. Emmadw macrumors newbie

How fine is the "places" search ... does it know that Paris & Calais are both in France?

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Events is such a misnomer. Before they were called 'events', they were called 'rolls', which is more indicative of how it behaves. Obviously that's a bit old fashioned.

Consider each event to be an 'import event' or a 'roll of film'. Don't treat it like a folder. Use the folders and albums for this.

As for places, as far as I can tell, there are two ways that are distinctly different when tagging images - either by event or by each individual image. If an event has a location, then every photo within the event will adopt that location unless told otherwise - this is NOT the same as meta data for the image. It is meta data for the event.

For search, I believe there's a built-in library, but failing that it can search Google. If the location is not even there, you can enter in your own, or find closest match and move the pin.