"Places" is VERY slow

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott-n-Houston, May 25, 2010.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I have the 64GB (3G), and I have my whole picture library on my iPad. I'm a journeyman photographer, so it's important to me to carry all my photos. After optimizing for the iPad, it's about 17GB in photos.

I love the places feature, but it is really slow. It can take 10 seconds after I unpinch before the picture enlarges.

Any suggestions short of not carrying all my photos? Anyone else have this aspect running very slowly?

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I have the same model iPad as u have. My photo app, including places, is super fast, almost instantaneous when I click on a location.

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

How much of your storage is photos? (Mine is 17GB or so and most have a geo tag)
    Is yours similar?

I'm trying to figure out if I've pushed it too far with volume of pics and geo tags.

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

No I don't have that many photos, only about 7 gig I think. But I have noted very little if any lag. I am not sure why this should be happening to you. I was actually also hoping to see other's responses to see if this is a common problem happening in the Ipad universe.

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too. Thanks for the information. Any others?

6. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I speculate it's the large amount of geo tagged photos you have combined with the 3G (or for all I know lack of) service in your area. I would say that most user probaly don't have their entire library of pics tagged. I do wish mine was though. What are you shooting your pics with btw?

7. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree that you're probably correct. I have a Nikon D90.
    And for older photos that weren't tagged, I've gone in and tagged them with iPhoto '09. (When I knew the location)

It took a while to go through my library because I didn't have a camera with geo tagging ability until a couple of years ago, but it was worth the exercise.

Today, if taking pictures with a simple camera that lacks the geo tag feature (like a pocket cam), I take one pic with my iPhone, and use that information to tag the other pics when I load them into iPhoto.