Places that don't require activation in-store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Psant, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Psant macrumors regular

I'm doing an upgrade swap with a friend on another line, who lives in another state. Currently, he has the iPhone 4 scheduled to be shipped by July 14th. However, I'm anxious and wondering which stores require activation in-store and which stores don't. I did some searching, but couldn't find much.

Apple - required activation in-store
    AT&T - ?
    Radio Shack - ?
    Best Buy - ?

2. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I left att this morning and I had to take it home to activate

3. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

Was that because of the servers crashed or anything or they didn't even bother to try activating?

4. PoppaKap macrumors regular

AT&T stores are not consistent from what I can tell. I activated in store and had the phone switched to a different number as my line was not eligible.

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Bought mine at Best Buy Sat night. The guy in front of me had his activated in store.

When it was my turn I paid for it and they guy asked me if I wanted him activate it. I told him thanks but I only live a few blocks away and would rather open it and take care of it myself.

He was fine, just reminded me that my 3GS would no longer work. Sure enough by the time I hit the parking lot it read No Service.

If you live far away or are not headed home right after purchase, I would say let them activate for you so you have a phone.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

as far as I know new customer can activate at home, exiting at&t customer need to do it at the store, since the iPhone4 use a different SIM card, they need to activate the new one and deactivate the old one.

7. erure macrumors regular

That's weird. I got my iPhone at the local Apple store and said I'd rather activate it at home. Then again, I live just a block away from the Apple store so I didn't have to worry for too long about not having a working phone.

8. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I'm an existing customer and ordered through AT$T. These were shipped to my residence and I activated them at home. They were not pre-activated as some suppose.

9. chillstatus macrumors member

The lady wouldn't let me take the phone unless it was activated there, but it was a new line.

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

incorrect, you do not have to activate in store if you are an existing customer. the only thing that has to be done in the store is for them to tie the new iphone and the new sim to your account. this is all done without opening it up. after that you can either activate it in the store or just take it home

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Apple store on launch day gave me an option.

Activate in-store, or at home. I took my home and it was ready through iTunes in about 10 seconds.