Places that say "we'll call you" and then don't

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luminosity, May 30, 2009.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

In the past month, my girlfriend has been interviewed by a couple different companies (one of which is pretty "eh" and the other that is better, at least in terms of reputation). Both said they would let her know by calling her, and both have failed to do so.

Particularly with this last one, it angers me that people say they'll do something that takes just a couple minutes and then don't. What is so difficult about picking up a phone or sending an e-mail that lets a person know one way or the other? In times like these, people are more nervous than ever.

Or maybe I'm just naively idealistic about people meaning what they say.

2. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

How long has it been since the interview?

The time between my interview and my confirmation call was about 2 months.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

After an interview, I think it's implied that "We'll call you/We'll be in touch" actually means "We'll call you if you're hired." They rarely, if ever, call you and the other 26 people who didn't get the job. They wouldn't send a letter either, and you'd be lucky if you received an email.

4. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

The first one is a month, and I think that's far too long for there to be any chance now. The other one is a week and a half, and that's for an online position with a company (as a paid moderator at a message board). Someone in the company posted that offers have already been extended, so that seems pretty damning to me.

They rarely, if ever, call you and the other 26 people who didn't get the job. They wouldn't send a letter either, and you'd be lucky if you received an email.

I understand. Yet it doesn't seem particularly difficult to pick up a phone and call, particularly if you've made it through at least part of a process and there aren't a lot of people to call one way or the other.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have found that in most cases a company will not contact you if you are unsuccessful even if they say they will and claim that they are open and honest on their website etc.

Once the time by which they said they will contact you by you are more than within your rights to phone them up and ask them. If they left it undefined there is no harm in calling them up after 10 working days.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I always send a "We regret to inform you, thank you for your time and best of luck, keep on file" blah, blah, blah.... That's just the way I think it should be. A letter is also the easy way out since I dislike blubbering and pleading and generally hate talking to people anyway. Since it's already written, a simple copy and paste works wonders.

Sorry she didn't get called back. I think it rude but it's where the world is these days.

7. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Sounds reasonable to me. Just something that acknowledges you and gives some sort of finality to the process.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Most HR departments are staffed with people who are desensitized to the feelings of human beings. Maybe they ought to change their name to just R.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Or UB, Useless Bastards...

10. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

I suppose they have to be, or else you may start thinking like a normal person and making decisions that aren't in the immediate interest of the company's bottom line.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I agree with this approach. If you haven't heard in a couple of weeks, give them a call. If you're still under consideration for the job, they'll tell you. If you're not, they'll either tell you you're not or they'll avoid returning your phone call which is a pretty clear signal in itself.