Places to Buy Macbook Battery Replacements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LReyes66, Feb 24, 2012.

1. LReyes66 macrumors member

Ok well i have a macbook a1278 macbook pro from 2009.

Well I just upgraded ram to 8gb and now i wanna replace the battery since the battery life isnt up to par like it use to be.

I was gonna have my friend who works as a geeksquad agent to order me one using his protection plan because he has the same macbook battery and he use to be able to order as many a/c adapter and batteries. But they finally caught on as a company and changed the parts order procedure. You now have to call in and they check your history.

He's still trying to maybe get it for me, but if it doesnt work I have to just buy it myself.

Im gonna ask my friends that work at apple store if they can get me a discount. Does anyone know how much of a discount they get on batteries?

But if that doesnt pull through i might go on amazon/ebay.

How are 3rd party batteries? Any site that has them for a reasonable price/cheap?

2. techfest macrumors member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Wise advice.

I went the Ebay route for several batteries for previous Mac notebooks. Out of three or four off brand batteries that I purchased, only one was worth a damn, as in holding charge at all after six or eight months. Then there's the potential for fire. I never bumped up against that, but today's batteries are denser and less forgiving.

Not the place to cut corners, IMHO.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Did the same eBay thing with a Dell battery. Lasted 6 months. Took it apart on a whim and saw that it had been made with recycled NIMh cells, with the old solder clearly visible. Gotta love it.

6. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

7. iMacC2D, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. scott.n macrumors 6502

Yep, the A1278 was the first MBP generation with the built-in batteries. Apple will replace it for $129.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

9. LReyes66 thread starter macrumors member

I have a friend that recently dropped his newer 13" macbook pro. Hes gonna be getting a new one to replace it and he said he would let me have the battery to that one.

Will it work for my slightly older c2d mac?

I opened his up while i was at his place and it seemed similar to the one i have.

10. misko macrumors newbie

Yes work without problems. Litlle larger capacity on newer batteries

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

12. nigelbuffington macrumors newbie

kockoff batteries

so i live in singapore and dont have:mad:
    access to a apple store. AGREEE!!! dotn by a knock off. my mbp 13" battery lasted a year that i bought from a local dealer for the same price as original from apple. lesson learned. Buy the good stuff from apple when it comes to batteries. Too many chinese knock offs out there