Places To Buy New Unlocked iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leftheaded, Jun 17, 2011.

1. leftheaded macrumors member

Are there any alternative places to buy the new unlocked versions of the iPhone4 in the US, or is the apple store the only place?

I've seen some on Amazon, but wonder if they are "real" unlocked phones or if they have simply been unlocked by someone other than Apple.

Anyone know?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

1. Call up American buddy/Find trustworthy MR person
    2. Ask them to buy you an unlocked iPhone and pay the, $20-50 for their "troubles"...or not.
    3.?????
    4. Profit.

3. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

wha??? i have no idea what you meant to convey, but if you are actually Terry Gilliam then i think we're on the same page and i'd add:

5. go to information retrieval... or is it dispersal?
    6. send eleven sharks to a raspberry farm on carbonated
    7. you had me at hello

but seriously... does anyone know?

i live in california and plan to walk into an apple store and get an unlocked phone today (unless some store has a more competitive price for the same thing)

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Its currently apple only.

No other authorized apple sellers have said they were selling unlocked iPhones

5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Right now Apple is your safest and cheapest bet. There are few online stores that sell factory unlocked iPhone 4s but they are quite expensive

6. ChazB macrumors member

From what I gather you're not likely to get a much better deal from another retailer on ANY Apple product; let alone an unlocked iPhone 4. Apple sets the prices that resellers pay for their products so high that the resellers make very little on the sale. If you see a "sale" on something Apple at an authorized reseller like Best Buy for example; their likely selling it at or below their cost to get you in the door or get rid of old stock.

I'd stay away from non-authorized resellers just for simplicity's sake in case there is a problem with the item.

7. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

In order to save on tax I emailed amazon asking if they would be selling the unlocked IP4 and this is the response I got back:

Hello,

I am sorry; we don't have any update when the unlocked iPhone 4 will be available.

I'd suggest checking our website from time to time to see if this item is available. We also have an option "Alert me." If we plan to sell unlocked iPhone 4 we will show it on our website and we'll be happy to let you know when we start accepting orders for it.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

9. leftheaded thread starter macrumors member

cool. thanks for the quick help, everyone.

bought one from apple just minutes ago.

just fyi for anyone else wondering what's what with these:

when you turn the thing on it wont work just yet. you'll need a sim card and a computer with an internet connection to activate the device (not the service). the apple store i went to did not have "test sim cards" to do this, but they said they will eventually.

anyway, i went across the street to the att store and they popped in a sim card from a display ipad2, connected my iphone to their computer/itunes, activated the device, popped the sim card out and gave the phone back to me.

now it works just like an ipod with wifi (says "no sim" in the upper left display where you would see your signal-bars).

eventually i'll add it to an existing att family plan (my sisters) and they will have to provide me with a sim card at that time.

i'm happy :D

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

So happy to see them doing this now, when the 5 comes out I was going to plan a trip up to Canada but now plan to buy here in tax free NH.

I think eventually they will trickle down to the usual places, except the cell company stores. Would like to be wrong on that though and see them everywhere.