Places to visit in Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iZac, Mar 28, 2010.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

As the thread suggests, I'm visiting Amsterdam tomorrow for a few days. Has anyone been before and care to share some delightful and interesting places to visit? I'm going with my partner, so no "score some weed and hookers" replies, thankyou :rolleyes: haha

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

The Anne Frank House and Museum, well worth a look.

The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museums (whether you like art or not).

The Heineken Museum and brewery, lots to see and do.

And despite the "no weed and hookers" point, feel free to walk round the Red Light District, just to see the sights if nothing else!

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

If you're staying for a few days, then it's worthwhile to take a train out of town towards Leiden. A beautiful old dutch city. On your way you can be ultra-touristy and check out the Keukenhof which is world-famous for its fabulous gardens of flowers.
    And a little further south is Delft, which is also definitely worth a look. Leiden is approx 30 mins by train from Amsterdam, Delft another 20 mins further.

Hope the weather holds up for you!:rolleyes:

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

For more modern art the Stedelijk Museum is right by the Van Gogh, and is also well worth a visit.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I really enjoyed just wandering around the Nine Streets area, the Jordaan and the Pijp.

Haarlem is also just a short train ride away, worth a trip if you have half a day to spare.

I stayed in Utrecht last summer. Super cute little city, kind of a mini-Amsterdam with its city centre built around a smaller network of canals.

6. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

The hookers are fugly, so I wouldn't suggest that. :p

Rijksmuseum Amsterdam - I did a paper on Rembrandt back in 1996. Despite the fact I'm Italian; Rembrandt is one of my favorite renaissance artists. If you look at Rembrandt's works compared to others of the period you'll see how accurately he painted the lighting conditions. Lighting and shadows is one of if not the most difficult things for an artists to master. :apple:
    You can impress your partner with your extensive knowledge of him - just hit wikipedia.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Rembrandt was active in the 1600s, so I'd say he was late for the Renaissance by over 100 years. I too wrote a thesis on the man, back in 1991 or therebouts.

But yeah, seeing The Night Watch in person was extremely impressive.

8. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Late Renaissance. Some historians include the 17th century.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Whilst you're there can you nip into the Netherlands Central Bank and swap some guilders I still have knocking about for euros?

Ta

10. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    What a coincidence, I just did an English assignment on traveling to Amsterdam.

I want to go there.