Placing files outside the home folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Saturn1217, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the possibly very dumb question.

I want to know if it is possible to put files at the root of my boot volume. Basically can I put files outside the home folder on my hard drive and not in any other predefined folders? Will things I place here have any weird permissions? Will this mess up my system in anyway?

I know that it is not recommended to put user files in this location but I just wanted to know if it was possible without horrible consequences.

My reasons for this (if anyone cares): I have 2 partitions on my hard drive. One for Lion and one for Snow Leopard. I currently have to stay on the Snow Leopard partition due to desperately needing some trial software for work that I can't close. I'm trying to free up space on my SL partition by moving files to the Lion partition without actually putting them in a user folder because I still want full read/write access to them in SL. But I don't want to mess up my Lion install and I won't be able to check and see if I messed it up until I'm allowed to reboot my computer again (which will be like two months from now).

I tried to search but I don't think many people have the same question (or at least according to google they didn't)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would recommend making a "spare" folder on the other disk. Don't put stuff in /. You can make a folder called /moredata and give yourself permissions on it and put stuff there. I prefer not to ever put anything outside the home folder because I have crashplan backing up my home folder and I don't want to have to think about backing up other locations.

Disk 1 (boot disk)
    Use your normal user folder

Disk 2 (spare disk - "other OS")
    Use /moredata

hope this helps...

3. Saturn1217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help!

Just to make sure I'm clear I can, from within Snow Leopard, create a folder at the root of the Lion partition and then put files here. And I assume since I am creating the folder in SL I can set up permissions for this folder so it is accessible by my user account in SL?

Thanks again.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Files located where you describe should be accessible from any user account by default, I think.

5. SookieSam macrumors newbie

To ensure files in /moredata on Lion volume are accessable whether booted from Snow Leopard or Lion, make /moredate folder read/write for everyone ... provided that security is not an issue.