Placing itunes on an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bulldog VII, May 10, 2011.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

I want to change the loaction of my itunes libary from my imac to an external hard drive

I'm not sure how to do it if someone can give me some pointers??, is it as simple as dropping & dragging it onto the HD & will my apple TV still work to enable me to view videos

Thanks

2. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

3. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

an alternative approach to the Apple support article would be this:

• assuming all your media files are in the default location, copy the entire iTunes folder from <MacintoshHD>/users/<yourname>/music to the external
    • launch iTunes while holding the option (⌥) key and click on choose library at the prompt, then select the iTunes folder you copied to the external
    the advantage of this approach is that you have a truly mobile library that can be used with any computer.

4. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Jolly Giant

I tried your way, but when I tried to play a track it said it couldn't find the file after I deleted my itunes library off the hard drive...... thank god for timemachine!!

Any ideas??

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

does that happen for all files or just one/a few ? do/did you have the copy to ... when adding to library option enabled in preferences > advanced ?

again, this will only work if all media files have always been in the default location (the iTunes media or music folder).