Placing text on video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Millwood, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Millwood macrumors regular

I am looking for a program that will allow me to place text on a specific location of my video (like upper left corner, etc), for the full length of that video. I have tried iMovie, but it doesn't get too specific into the placement and the options that I want, and I have tried FCP, but it seems too complicated when all I want to do is import an .avi or .mov file, add the text, and save my changes to that .avi or .mov.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I searched the forums, including google (I found a program on there for Miyu - but that wasn't any good, it's only a subtitler) and it seems there are no good programs out there.
    Thanks if you have any suggestions!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>>I have tried FCP, but it seems too complicated<<

What's too complicated? Drop your video clip on track 1 (V1) then add the text generator clip on V2 and position it wherever you want it (copy and paste as needed). Render. Done.

-DH

3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Another option is Gee Three. I know they have some add-ons or plugins for imovie that work really well, One allows you to place a title where ever you want. Just make sure you don't put it too far to the edge that it gets cut off on the tv.

But, in reality spend a few minutes learning FCE. Just by watching some of the videos on apples website should help you out. If not google add titles in final cut pro and you can see how easy it is to do.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

This can be done with Quicktime pro, via an image overlay or via specific support in quicktime for text tracks. There is a two part slide show (part1 and part2) by TUAW and Apple has a tutorial on "text" tracks

Hope this helps!

5. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

I fooled around learning FCP last night for about an hour and I think I figured it out.

This was actually exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. It's something pretty simple, but will allow me to control the placement, text, etc every step of the way.
    A huge thanks!