Plaguing iOS7 Battery Glitch remains in iOS8 Betas

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ben824, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ben824 macrumors regular

When iOS 7 came out I observed that my iPhone 5 as well as many other models that the people close to me had, that all our phones had started shutting down for a "low battery" condition at random lower battery percentages like 37%, or 23%, or 15%, etc. I have owned an iPhone since the original and have seen every version of iOS from iPhone OS 1 to current iOS 8 Beta 3. In iOS versions prior to iOS7 you could run the battery right down to 1% EVERY time. It would never die while showing any other percentage on screen.

On top of the fact that it dies at random percentages, as soon as I plug the phone into a wall charger it immediately boots back up and shows the percentage that it died at further proving that it should not have died if that was the true percentage and that there is a problem with the system shutting down prematurely for "low battery" conditions.

This seems like a major power management glitch does it not?

2. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Your problem seems like a hardware issue. You should take a trip to the Genius Bar sometime and have someone look at it :) (I also have an iPhone 5 and I have never experienced this issue. Except poor battery life)

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

4. dcp10 macrumors 6502

Yep. Replaced my battery and things went back to normal. I think iOS 7/8 has an issue measuring voltage with older batteries.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My wife had this issue on her less than year old iPhone. It was a defective battery.it was diagnosed by the local Apple store in less than 5 minutes and we are out of there in 10 min with a replacement.

6. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I had that happening on my prior iPhone 5, got replaced at Apple for faulty battery. The OS has nothing to do with it. My iPhone 5 had iOS 6 and it would die at 12, 15% even at 25 sometimes. So it's likely hardware (maybe battery calibration?). Now on my iPhone 5S things are perfect.

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Had the same problem with my 5. Seems like there was a major issue with the iPhone 5 in terms of the battery :(

8. ben824 thread starter macrumors regular

Well had my phone replaced today. We will see if the problem is fixed

9. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I can vouch that this bug began in iOS 8 beta 2 for me...my iPhone battery % and Usage would freeze... (iPhone 5).

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Of my ~10 friends with iOS7 all of them got this issue right after updating to 7. Of my ~10 friends who still refuges to update, none of them have this issue.
    And I see the same trend on internet, a lot of ppl get this right after updating. I call BS on the whole hardware thing, iOS7 did something to these batteries that 6 didn't

11. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Even if iOS 7 ruined your battery it is technically still a hardware problem.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or iOS 7 was more sensitive to battery issues and surfaced them better while iOS 6 didn't really do that as well.

13. kojack420 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with beta 3 where it would shut down at 45%, but with I went back to 7.1.2 it works fine. It has me all confused!