Plain Jane Macbook for field monitor/video capture?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coldmember, Apr 17, 2007.

1. coldmember macrumors newbie

Given that a good quality HD field monitor is priced in the stratosphere and a full dressed 40GB Firestore is about the price of a refurbed laptop, I've been considering an base model MacBook to capture footage from my XH-A1.

It's not perfect, but I envision using it for indoor shoots where I'm able to set up as opposed to run-n-gun field work.

Is the screen accurate enough to use for both focus and color correction? I imagine needing an external drive (USB2?) to use a scratch disk. Anything else (upgrades and the like) that I should also consider?

If it's relevant, I'm currently editing on my mac pro with FC Studio. I plan on buying FC Studio 2 soon and would like to install the old copy of FCP (but not the suite) onto the MacBook. Anything to consider along these lines, too?

Thanks!

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You could upgrade to the 160 gig internal hard drive if that would help with storage, but that might not be worth it. I have a MBP myself, but I hear the fact that the macbooks have glossy screens makes it hard to properly gauge what colour you have (makes them look more intense and nicer) which might be bad, but I guess it depends on your needs.

3. marvinsum macrumors member

Also when you order it, be sure to choose a harddrive that spins that 7200RPM. The slower 5400RPM drives might not keep up with realtime video.

4. coldmember thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I wasn't aware that all MacBooks had glossy screens. Color accuracy is very important. Overly saturated colors, or the appearance thereof, is something that I'd rather avoid.

5. coldmember thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to use an external USB drive so as to avoid this issue. I think, though, that the glossy screen is a deal breaker. If I'm adjusting my camera based on the display, I'm probably going to be very unhappy with the video when I edit it.

The only option would be to upgrade to a MCP which is getting out of my price range.

Thanks, though.