Plan expires 12/29 - Get iPhone 4S or wait for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tehpwnerer19, Oct 5, 2011.

?

When to buy a new iPhone

1. Buy iPhone 4S in Debember

16.7%
  2. Wait for possible Summer iPhone 5

83.3%
  1. tehpwnerer19 macrumors member

My current plan ends on December 29th of this year. I was really hoping for a redesigned iPhone 5 with a larger screen, as I am not happy with my Droid Incredible, for both screen size issues and Android being crap issues. I realize that the iPhone 4S is basically a brand new phone packed into an iPhone 4S case. My question is do you think Apple will release a new iPhone this summer as they usually had, or will Octoberish be the new release schedule and I'd have to wait until then? If there is going to be a summer release of a new designed phone, I would wait, but if it will be next October I wouldn't. Obviously nobody knows for sure except Apple, but what are your thoughts? Thanks.

2. bbapps macrumors regular

Being a Sprint customer with a Samsung Epic (e.g. X-ATT/IPhone 3G customer) who jumped to Sprint for better Family Plans w/data, but missing my IPhone.

I will probably wait for the IPhone 5 mainly due to the lack of 4G on the 4S and/or Sprints most likely migration to LTE.

Travel to Austin quite a-bit and the ability to tether my phone at 4G speeds to my macbook is a really nice benefit. However, we will see how long I can hold out for tight integration of my media libraries via airplay/itunes/appletv/icloud (e.g. different subject, but I trailer-camp alot and Iphone would allow me a traveling media library).

3. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

You'd be insane to lock yourself into the S-upgrade cycle. Everyone gets cool new stuff while you sit and look on longingly.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Two options:

One: just wait for the iPhone 5 and stick with the new 20 mo upgrade cycle (Yes, ATT killed off 12 and 18 mo upgrade cycles. Once current customers upgrade they are on 20 mo cycle regardless of bill amt.)

Two: Upgrade to 4S, sell 4. That should be a wash $ wise. When 5 comes around and you want to upgrade you'll have to pay the $250 fee + $199. Again, should be able to get $200 for iPhone 4s so out of pocket is $250.

Also I think the iPhone launch time has been realigned from summer to fall to take up slack of lower iPod sales. So it will be another year before we see a new iPhone.