Plan for AT&T: buy latest android on 2 year and sell and buy contract free iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jun 7, 2015.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

hmmm this might be my plan if tempted by the S model

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

If you're going to buy a flagship Android device when it first comes out (and pay $200 upfront) and try and sell it... why not just pay the $200 upfront you would anyways and buy the iPhone that you want to begin with? :confused:

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

That's an okay plan and all, but ultimately I feel you'll lose more money than it's worth. As a long time android user I can tell you from what I've seen that Android phones only retain high values right when they come out (for like a month or two) or when they are supply constrained. Otherwise, their value drops off significantly after a couple months. You'd be better off buying a used android phone that works on AT&T that came out in the last 6-9 months and using that, then selling it for little loss.

For example, years ago when my family switched to T-Mobile I picked up a Galaxy S3 with the intentions of selling it, as I had a Galaxy Nexus. This phone was brand new, and had been out for around 4 months and only fetched me $430 whereas the original price was $650 and on contract was $99. If you did something similar, and intended to buy the 6S, you'd still need to fork over around $400 about 3 months from now.

4. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

You're way better off doing this the other way around or just getting the iPhone.

Android phones off contract sell for $600-650ish max which won't even fund a contract free iPhone with decent storage.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

well, 2 year contracts for iPhones no longer available on AT&T.

hence the thread

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

From Apple. You can still upgrade from AT&T.

7. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Ah ha, nice

Do you think this will remain so when next iPhone comes out in the Fall? if so, disregard this thread I suppose :D

just thinking out loud here

8. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

Androids don't hold their resale value. I would buy an iPhone 6 with my upgrade and then sell it when the iPhone 6s was released and buy the iPhone 6s.