plan for buying a new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechidz, Aug 19, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

so Id like to get a macbook before the ipod student deal is done sept 15th but am thinking the new ones will come out right after that. so what if I bought one the 14 and waited to open it for the 14 days return policy to see if the new ones came out? that way I should be able to return it for the restocking fee and get a new one and keep the ipod right? would this work?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well you have to pay for the iPod up front and get a rebate in the mail. The "processing" time you hear about is so that that they can verify you have kept your MacBook. If you return it, then you won't get the rebate because the iPod is linked to the original MacBook.

3. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

If you buy the Macbook, and get the free iPod and then decide to return it without the iPod, then you will not get your rebate. You have to remember you get the iPod, but you pay for it upfront and a rebate check is then processed. Hope this helps. Good luck on your decision.

4. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

No!? You beat me to it! :D

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

Ha ha, I was worried that someone would beat me. I'm glad we have a consensus.

6. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Indeed. Lets not ever cross paths again. :eek: lol

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I got my rebate 3 days after submitting it, so I don't think there will an issue.

8. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Wouldn't that be then considered fraud? Genius if it works though. Morally, :eek:

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I've been considering buying a new MBP, getting the free iPod, ebaying the MBP for what I paid for it, getting the free iPod out of the deal, then buying the newb MBP .... I wouldn't get the student discount (they limit that) but they should drop the price so it would be pretty much even (they'll probly drop $$ to $1799).

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah I agree there.

But yeah, my rebate for my iPod came in the mail like just a week after. It was really fast.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, but I just wanted to say it would work. I actually asked them if I could return the computer and iPod and they said yes. :p

12. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

can you quote me the law on this please? didnt think so

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

It doesn't have to be against the law to be wrong, you're using the deal in a way that it's not intended.

14. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

come down from up there. I'd still be buying a mac.

It also doesnt have to be wrong to be against the law... so where we going here???

15. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say that.

16. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

True, however you know deep DEEP inside you know its wrong! :D But hey, if it works for you; why not, right?