Plan for Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crad159, Aug 16, 2011.

1. crad159 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I have a plan to work out in less than a week. I was wondering if y'all had any comments or advice for setting this up.

My plan is to have the following:

1. Mac server on Mini
    2. Connect 1tb drive to mini
    3. Remote desktop laptop and mini
    4. Able to turn on mini from college and let seed torrents
    5. Able to download to mini>set download location to external through uTorrent 1.5 beta
    6. Able to watch and listen to music on laptop from server/mini at home

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That will all work, but just want to note a few things:

You can do all of that without Lion server - remote desktop, disk sharing, etc. Will all work with just vanilla lion.

Make sure you put the mini in your router's DMZ and you have a way of obtaining its IP address if it ever changes.

Also, you don't need a Mac to do this - you'll save a lot of money by salvaging an old PC. I use my old Dell from 2002 for this exact purpose and have no problems.

Edit: remotely turning it on may be a hurdle. I believe you can set it to turn on whenever it has power.

3. crad159 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well you shed light on this for me! Here is an updated graphic to show what I hope to achieve. So how would I be able to access the files that are downloaded onto the PC's desktop on my Mac?

Attached Files: