Plan for Installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by luigidorf, Sep 3, 2011.

1. luigidorf macrumors newbie

This semester I'm going to need to run AutoCAD on my MacBook Pro, and I've decided to run it on Windows. I don't yet have Windows on my computer. Here's what I want to do:
    Download the trial version of Parallels
    Download Windows 7 onto the VM
    Download AutoCAD (should be free)
    Test to see if AutoCAD runs fast enough through Paralells.
    If it does, buy Parallels.
    If it doesn't, remove the VM and create a boot camp partition.
    Install Windows on the partition.
    Download AutoCAD again.​
    Can I do this with one copy of Windows 7? Can I do it with a downloaded copy (no disk or anything)? What about with an upgrade?

Through my college I can get a "Windows 7 Professional Upgrade" for $65.55.
    That price is for an internet download, but I can get it through mail order for a little bit more:
    Hopefully this link works.

Could I use that to install windows on a VM or separate partition?

It's no big deal if I need to buy a full disk version of Windows 7 (64-bit Home probably) to do this, but I need to act soon.

Thanks for reading.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Direct from Microsoft you would be out $29.99 currently http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200 and you might even be able to get a free license via MSDNAA depending on your major. http://twl.ece.tufts.edu/main/twl_sponsors.htm

The student version is an upgrade. If you don't qualify for the upgrade (by having some previous version you could transfer to the Mac) you are potentially off-license.

You can test things out using one of the official ISO images from e.g. http://www.mydigitallife.info/windo...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/ and then buy the student version once you've decided how to install it and that you either qualify for the upgrade pricing or don't care that you don't.

Install it without entering a product key and you can try it out for 30 days. In Parallels you can use the ISO as downloaded, for Boot Camp you will need to burn the ISO to a disc.

If the student key doesn't work the first time. Upgrade over the version you installed without the key and then apply the key.

B

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Why pay for virtualization software when you can use the free/excellent VirtualBox ?

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

He needs full 3D support, VBox is lacking in that area.

5. luigidorf thread starter macrumors newbie

6. luigidorf thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I went to download the full version of Windows 7 Professional, and I got a file called Windows_7_Professional_with_Service_Pack_1_64-bit_(English).exe. I think it's supposed to be a downloader/installer for Windows 7 but since it's a .exe file, I can't open it. Any ideas?

7. kalakov macrumors member

yes. this is a downloader. you'll need windows to open this file. It will download Windows 7 iso file which you can use to install windows.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You have options. Use one of the ISOs I linked to earlier to install Windows in a VM or in Boot Camp and run the EXE from that. Or ... just use the ISO together with the key you were provided.

B